Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Tuesday Times

Decided to take a break from blogging yesterday. I hadn't read the paper since last Tuesday and decided to watch John & Kate Plus 8 on TV. Haven't watched TV in literally months. Just needed some down time.

Well, my hip/hamstring/whatever is getting better day by day, as is my attitude. But I'm not going to try running yet. I'm going to wait at least another week. Tomorrow morning I'll hit the pool again.

According to this article from WCCO, Grandma's Marathon will lose money this year due to a drop in the number of entries. Registration is closed and the race did not fill. I heard on the radio that about 8300 registered and the limit was 9500. Also, WCCO-related, my next door neighbor Dr. Cascino said that my Mayo Clinic Medical Edge video was on WCCO last night. Can't find the clip on their website, though.

New clinics starting at Running Room this week: 5K (June 6 9 AM), 10K (June 2 6 PM), Marathon (June 16 6:30 PM). New women's Running Room clothing has just arrived. During June, purchase a pair of Saucony's and receive a free Saucony water bottle. Purchase a pair of Asics Nimbus and receive a free pair of socks. New colors of most Asics shoes have arrived. As always, group runs on Wednesday at 6 PM.

I purchased my Silver Lake Pool swim pass yesterday. They're available at the front desk at the Y. $40 for an individual/$60 for a family. The price goes up after June 10. It's good for lap swimming and open swimming. Lap swimming: M-Sat 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM and M-Th 6 to 7:15 PM. You don't have to be a Y member to purchase a pass. Great for tri training as the pool is right on the bike trail system!

I got a surprise in the mail today ... a check for $50 for volunteering at a Century H.S. track meet earlier in the season. :-) Sometimes it really does pay to volunteer! Speaking of volunteering, contact any of the race directors listed for the events on the RTC website and I'm sure you won't be turned down. I'll be helping out at Chester Woods on Saturday: registration, water stop #1 and/or finish line. Hope to see you there!! It's a great race.

Off-Season Striders who aren't running Chester Woods on Saturday: gather at Panera South (next to Hy-Vee) at 7:30 for a 10-mile (or so ... as you desire) route. Food and fellowship in bountiful supply after the run, as always.

Congratulations to Renee Kottschade for running her first half marathon in Burnsville this weekend at the "Heart of the City". Matt Schrader reports that they finished the race together in 2:16 and it was a very nice course. Way to go, Renee!!

Happy June birthdays to the following RTC members: Jim Backlund, Megan Barrone, Dawn Boynton, Tim Burriss, Lionel Cheng, Mary Chestolowski, Ed Creagan, Leah Douglas, Jim Hannon, Susan Hanson, Loren Johnson, Sreenivas Koka, Audrey Lidke, Laura Meiners, William Mettler, Barb Ness, Scott Okuno, Paul Owen, Jim Postier, Maureen Sanderson, Diane Witzig.

Mike Schmitt was right. The Walnut Burgers from the Trempealeau Hotel are available at the Bluff Country Co-Op in Winona. Matt picked up a 4-pack for me yesterday when he moved into his new digs for the fall semester.

Yesterday was cookie delivery day for Cookies of the Month/2009. Pictured below with their Oatmeal Raisin cookies: Jim Martinson, KC Reed, Dan Edwards and Jim Benike. (Missing: Ross Hamernik, Jean Murray, Mark Wernstrom.)

Arriving shortly after that photo was the final member of the group, Don Gabrielson.

The story about the finger ... Dog bite. His dog. The dog didn't like being told he had to get out of the Suburban so he nipped Don's finger. Ends up that it got infected and Don spent 2 nights in the hospital on IV antibiotics and missed a week of work. They had to open up both sides of the finger to remove the infection and all his fingers were swollen. He still has the IV in his arm and can't run for a couple of weeks. What a story!! Poor guy. If I were that dog, I don't think I'd do that again ...

Someone gave us some chocolate chip cookies for something or other. Not sure what exactly ... they just appeared in the kitchen yesterday. Anyway, Matt decided to make a little snack out of a couple of them. Oh, to be young with a very active metabolism... :-)

My Siberian irises are now in full bloom. They're beautiful. The dwarf Korean lilacs in the background smell wonderful.

Finally got my tomatoes and peppers planted and the rest of the garden watered. The peas are looking great ...

as are the cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts, and potatoes. The potato bugs are (unfortunately) doing well, too!


Tomorrow I'm having lunch with a couple of friends ... was postponed from last week. Next week I get to have lunch with my friend Betsy who's battling breast cancer. I can't wait to see her. :-) Also tomorrow, Yack and Snack at my house. I think I'll make Rhubarb Sour Cream Crumb Cake for a treat. Either that or Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert Bars. They both look quite good.

Quote for the day: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." --Maya Angelou

Toodles.

No comments: