Saturday, June 27, 2009

On the eve of ...

... hopefully not destruction! I'm so full of mixed emotions for my first triathlon tomorrow ... nervous, excited, scared even. The weather sounds very nice ... low in the 60's, high of 82, and gone with the humidity. Well, my story is in the Post-Bulletin today. Pat Ruff did a great job. I'm honored to have been asked to be interviewed. Thank you to race director Bill Nevala for sending them my way. He's the one that got me into this!! And I'm ever so grateful. :-) Tomorrow, someone will be earning this cool trophy.


A bunch of us are getting together for dinner tonight at Victoria's downtown for some "tri talk" including a couple gals from St. Cloud. Should be fun!! I've been in another cleaning and de-cluttering mood lately. Everyone who shows up at Victoria's will have the opportunity to bring home some TreadMan duathlon "stuff" leftover from my stint as co-RD: socks, cinch bags, towels. It's time to get rid of it. My friend Julie Murray is doing a triathlon pen & ink drawing for me. I can't wait to see it. Tomorrow at 5:00 PM at Mike Ewen's house is a TriRochester potluck. Can't go wrong with a potluck. Mike's requested that I bring cookies. Of course I'll bring cookies!! I think I'll bring a salad too.

I had my first P.T. appointment yesterday. Apparently this is the problem: my left hip is weaker than my right and is causing my right hip to work a lot harder, therefore the soreness. So I've got these really weird isometric type exercises to do twice a day for about 20 minutes. e.g. One of them involves going into a wall sit without using my arms to guide me back, engaging the left hip by moving it back into the wall and the right knee forward, squeezing a ball between my legs, extending my right arm across midline, and inhaling and then exhaling into a balloon 5 times without holding onto the balloon, keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth between exhalations to keep the air in the balloon. I'm supposed to keep reaching farther with the right arm with each exhalation and am supposed to feel contraction in my left abdomen and a stretch across the right chest. There's so much to concentrate on that I have no idea what's contracted and what's not!! Oh, my. Anyway, I go back in two weeks. But overall, I'm feeling very good. No restrictions on activity from either the doc or the P.T.

Also in the P-B, a story about Lin Gentling coaching the women's 100K ultrarunning team to a gold medal.

Runner Carrie Tollefson from Dawson is again on the cover of the Minnesota Grown Directory this year. My relatives all live out that way ... Canby, Marshall, Montevideo.

I finally got my Medical Edge DVD in the mail yesterday along with a letter from Mayo Clinic. (I did a video story for them about my 2003 back surgery and running.) Apparently the story was/is playing on more than 100 TV stations in the states. I had no idea that it was so widely distributed. I thought it was web only until people started telling me they'd seen it when they were "up at the lake", etc.

Running Room this 'n that: Get a $50 rebate if you buy a Garmin 405 series GPS by June 30. It's also time to register for the FREE 20-minute Challenge which will take place on Wednesday, July 15. All you have to do is walk or run for 20 minutes. You get a FREE technical cap!

I picked some kohlrabi the other day and chopped it up to put in a salad. For those who haven't had it before, the taste and texture is quite similar to (peeled) broccoli stems.


Actually, I think the stem is the tastiest, sweetest part of the broccoli plant, truth be told. But do peel them ... the peel is WAY too tough to eat.

Yesterday I made blueberry jam.


Next up, when the berries are ready, will be either black or red raspberry, which are my favorite.

Today, my goal is to finish up the July issue of RTC News. Thank you to those that submitted articles. I'm always thankful for everything that gets sent my way.

Well, my next post will be post-triathlon. I wonder what I'll be writing tomorrow ... !! Time will tell.

Quote for today ~ "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain." As seen on St. Cloud River Runners site and posted by Ron Stock

No comments: