Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Am Still A Runner

Thank you to those of you who responded to yesterday's post about Marc, the runner coming up from the Cornbelt Running Club for a long series of radiation treatments at Mayo. Your offers of help and friendship are heart-warming.

I went to the doc today to try to find out what might be going on with this "hip thing". Good news. Appears to not be anything serious. He said that everything seemed totally normal on exam: no weakness, normal reflexes, normal neuro exam, piriformis and ITB nice and loose, good strength. Tight hamstrings. Yep, I knew that. He didn't think it appeared like anything in my hip and showed me my X-ray. There's a little bit of "something" which I can't remember but which is normal for someone "my age". Too many medical terms. I suppose I'm going to be hearing that more and more as time goes on... Anyway, he said that I had pretty much guessed right ... something with my back, probably as a result of my 2003 back surgery, though he couldn't say for sure what. Causes some sciatia-type pain. I was so afraid he'd say I shouldn't run any more so I asked him if I could still call myself a runner. "Absolutely, yes!" What a relief. He cleared me to run Grandma's though he said from what's been happening I might not finish without pain or might want to quit. But running should not cause any permanent damage. I should think about whether I'm ready for a possible DNF psychologically. That's the $10K question at this point. And I still don't know the answer. My psyche needs a finisher's medal. Anyway, I start physical therapy Friday 6/26 to strengthen my core and stretch out those tight hamstrings, etc. After a few weeks on that program we'll see how things are coming around.

Tonight was the All Comers mile, held in the rain. (Triathlon outing cancelled due to the weather.) Since there was only one other person in my age group there I decided to jog it for the Grand Prix points. I ran a slow 7:23 mile for 10 points but that's OK. I just wanted the points. Joey Keillor and Rob Mitchell ran excellent miles. I don't know their times but they were FLYING. Photobucket, or maybe my PC, are not cooperating tonight so I don't know if I'll get the slideshow done for this post but here are a few photos ...

Joey in front followed by Rob Mitchell and Brendan Sherman.

Also present on the day of his 85th, yes 85th, birthday was Steve DeBoer's dad. He ran the mile in 14:15. Wow. How many 85-year olds could do that?? Not many!! Happy Birthday, Wendell. Long may you run!

Got my hair cut today. I love it when someone else shampoos my hair ... :-)

Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer is having a fundraiser at Caribou Coffee (downtown) on 7/11 and is in need of volunteer workers for two-hour shifts, beginning on odd-numbered hours in groups of two from 7 AM to 9 PM. Please contact Kristin if you can help. Anyone want to work 9-11 AM with me??

I JUST got this email from Dan Strain: I thought I would tell you about a fantastic place we found last year right in Simpson. The guy has two varieties one is one the U of M developed and the other is a French variety. both are amazingly sweet, and we felt bad for the small farmer because he had so few customers (due to he just started growing them to sell a couple years ago) that there were tons of them going to waste, his rows were full and easy to pick (I didn't see our two year old for about 20 minutes because he was crouched down and just eating until they came out his ears). SO CUTE!!! I love these pictures.

Until next time!

1 comment:

diablo 3 power leveling said...

Great perform. As well as remarkable range of equipment to be effective... Really great!!