Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Back to Real Life

Summer has arrived, not?? This was the sight on 55th St NW at noon today. But I'm loving it. We've waited a long time for summer temps and I'm not about to complain.


But I did get my workouts in early today. I went to the pool when I got up and swam for an hour. Then at 7:26 AM I hopped on the bike. It was already warm, but it was wonderful to be out in the country with the sun still low in the sky, checking on crop progress, feeling the wind on my skin. I had to be at work at 9:00 AM and wanted to get in 19 miles so I knew there'd be no time for dawdling. So I rode out to Salem Corners and continued west to the next hill and then turned around. To keep myself motivated, I decided to see how long I could ride (on the flats) at 24 mph. 1.31 miles. At 26 mph? Less than 1/2 a mile. I made it to work on time. :-)

Yesterday after work I went to pick strawberries at Sterling Fruit Farm. (East on county 9, north on county 11).

What a beautiful day! What beautiful berries!

In no time I had enough for jam, pie and eating out of hand. They're deliciously sweet. And bigger than the last couple of years.

I drove home with the windows on, even though it was 93 degrees, the berries filling the car with their sweet perfume, the radio cranked up a bit. It was a wonderful day. Then after supper (this was my supper, plus a piece of bread--I'm absolutely craving salads--used mixed greens from my garden) ...

I made a quick batch of jam before starting yesterday's post.

I use the low-sugar/no-sugar Sure Jell so it's not cloyingly sweet. Love it. I could live on salads, fruit, bread (and Diet Coke!) in the summer.

Harvested the first broccoli today.

Kohlrabi should also be ready very soon.

All Comers' was cancelled this evening due to the extreme heat. Be sure to check the RTC website if the weather is at all questionable. The triathlon class did get together for a mini-tri at Foster Arends this evening.

The temps took a nosedive into the upper 70's so it was very pleasant. I was very comfortable with the swim today. In fact, I was tempted to go around again. :-0 Chris Koch gave us instruction on USATriathlon rules and etiquette. Very worthwhile info. Thank you Chris for letting me crash the party! Actually several people did the same!

Yesterday evening at the Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer meeting, Lin Gentling had just hours before returned from Belgium where she coached the U.S. women's 100K team to a gold medal. You go, girls! Kudos on running your hearts out.

Just a few more Grandma's marathon tidbits. Rochester/RTC runner Pete Gilman was featured on the cover of Northern Fitness Magazine which was in our marathon packets. Pete won the Fargo Marathon in May.


Being this was my inaugural Grandma's I didn't know about Tobie's ...

and their world famous caramel rolls.

Judy agreed that a stop was definitely in order.

Apparently, lots of other people thought the same, including ...

Dalene Kitslaar and Joy Larson, ...


and Pete and Heidi Martin. So ... how am I doing? Well, I'm not going to run until Sunday during the tri. We'll see how that feels. I'll walk the 5K if I have to. I AM going to finish! I have a P.T. appt. on Friday for core strengthening and flexibility. I'm hopeful that will help. Time and patience are always helpful as well. ;-)

Thought for the day which is from the lyrics for "If Today Was Your Last Day" by Nickelback:

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

If today was your last day
And tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?
If today was your last day ...

Live. Love. Laugh.

No comments: