Tuesday, April 28, 2009

News, News, News

This will probably be an 'administrivia' type post. It's late again (for me anyway, 9:22 PM) and I want/need a good night's sleep. Judy and Melissa and I hit the pool early again tomorrow and I'm going to try to get to the Y at noon for a run as well.

155 hits here yesterday. I do think that might be a record. Thanks for reading!!

First of all, the RTC newsletter is printed and will be assembled on Thursday at my house at 7:00 PM (this is following the 5:30 TriRochester Social Gathering at Glynner's Pub--come to both!). Cookies will be provided. There are lots of race entry forms this time so I'm really hoping I get some help. If 7 people show up, the 8 of us will finish in about an hour. If no one shows up, I'll be at it for 8 hours on Friday. :-( So if you can help out, I'd really appreciate it! 2026 Kal Lane SW. Thanks so much!! Also, the newsletter has been posted online on the RTC website in the members section.

If Spring Classic Spring Classic 5K or 15K isn't on your race card for this weekend, it should be!

This is how the Virginia bluebells looked on race day a couple of years ago. Spectacular! And of course there are the famous Jean Murray monster cookies for post-race treats. And technical shirts. I'll be running the 15K, one of my favorite distances. Hope lots of you show up as well.

Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer has a new start/finish location for 2010--the Heinz Center, which is part of the University Center. Thanks John Dinusson for securing that. It will provide lots more space before/after the race and of course will necessitate a new course. More on that as it becomes available.

Have you taken a peek at the "rochester" magazine for May? There is an article about Tim Burriss and the Stay Out of the Sun Run on May 15. I'll be volunteering, and possibly doing some heavy-duty cookie baking for the volunteers. :-)

Congrats to Judy Weller for running a PR for the mile during the last mile of the Winter BeGone! duathlon on Saturday. The weather was miserable, she was finishing up an event, and she runs a PR. Go figure! But I am SO very happy for her! She works and trains hard and deserves her success. She's earned it. You go girl!! Here are the fun shirts and beanies that were given to the participants and volunteers at the du. I think the beanies are way fun!!


Fetzer shirts are due to be printed/screened on Friday. I'll post info here and email you as to when you can pick them up. Peg said it's OK to leave them at Running Room. Thanks for your patience.

This week the Buck-A-Book sale ($1/book or CD or VHS movie) is taking place at the Y. I love a bargain! Anyone can stop by and browse/purchase. There were some really good selections there on Monday. I bought a few novels and I think I bought Jim Benike's mom's cookbooks.


I really enjoy looking through these type cookbooks. The recipes are the "tried and true" type and are usually the family favorites. It's kind of humorous when the recipe submitter is listed as something like "Mrs. Ole Larson" or something like that. :-) Anyway, for $1 each I will enjoy them!

I went up to the cities today to find some cycling shoes (which I did ... at Hoigaard's on Excelsior Blvd in Mpls. Got a really good deal and had a wonderful salesman!). I tried on this little number at Flander's Brothers. They felt wonderful. And were so cute! Blue flowers! Handmade in Italy! Mmmmm ... until I asked the price. $349.95. Uhhhhhhh ... thanks, but no thanks. But they sure were stylin', and felt wonderful. :-)

Tomorrow is book club. The book is The Elegance of the Hedgehog ... and I've not read it. I put in two requests for an inter-library loand and a copy never showed up. :-( But I haven't made an appearance in recent months so I think I'll go for the food and wine and discussion and decide if I'll put it on my "must read" list for the future. I saw a recipe for Pulled Pork with Strawberry BBQ Sauce (sandwiches) in Better Homes & Gardens while I was on the Stairmaster this morning, so that's what I'm going to make to bring along. The strawberry sauce contains: strawberries (duh!), ketchup, vinegar, garlic, rosemary, Tabasco sauce. And I think I'll make homemade buns, too.

Thought for the day: "Happiness is inward and not outward; and so it does not depend on what we have, but on what we are." --Henry Van Dyke

Until next time. Be well.

No comments: