Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's Spring ... finally!

Another beau-ti-ful day!! I got my perennial beds cleaned out and all the pine needles raked up yesterday. 4 big bags full. It's always good to get that job done, and then I can see the new growth appearing. I also purchased my broccoli and cabbage plants. Each year I like to try something new in the vegetable garden. This year--it's kohlrabi. Today I went and picked up the lawn fertilizer program for the year. It's great to be doing yard work again. Before you know it, this will be the scene in the yard ... can't wait!

Tomorrow Lionel, Carolyn and I are heading up to St. Cloud for the Earth Day events. Lionel and I will run the 20-miler and I think Carolyn is doing the half marathon. My sciatica is feeling better today. I can't fathom racing 20 miles, so I'm going to be treating it like a training run. I ran a 30K last summer (August, in the heat) and it got pretty miserable. Temps look good for Saturday morning. I of course made some cookies. Peanut butter this time (a Ron Giles oft-requested recipe). I tried to drizzle some Ghirardelli chocolate on some of them, but it got all gloppy. Still tastes good, though!


We're meeting up with some of the St. Cloud River Runners for pasta at Mi Famiglia on Friday night. I'm looking forward to it.

I guess this is going to turn into a foodie post. As I mentioned yesterday, I decided to make split pea soup with my ham bone. That poor soup has gotten a bad rap. It's actually quite delicious!!



I paired it with a super salad and I was eating like a queen.


I never tire of salads. Have one every night. Just like I never tire of my morning oatmeal with brown sugar, walnuts and a banana.

If you're going to be in the Marshall, MN area on June 6, they're having 5K and 10K races and a 1 mile Survivor & Friends walk called the Race Against Breast Cancer. It's at Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center. More into at Avera Marshall or email specialevents@averamarshall.org

I will be working the high jump on Tuesday at the Century H.S. track meet. I've not done that before. All the other meets I've worked at Mayo H.S. I've been a timer, which could really stress me out. Especially the 100m race. We timed for place, not lane. First, or even second place wasn't so bad but trying to pick out like 4th or 5th place when they're finishing fractions of a second apart was challenging to say the least. This should be much better!! To volunteer, email Kris Allen.

Marathon This 'n That: Fargo Marathon had to reroute the course according to the Forum due to the flooding. Bill Rodgers, Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher are running Boston. Should be exciting!

Well, I'm fresh out of news. Talk at you again either later on Saturday or Sundy for sure. :-)

Quote for the day: "Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -- Dr. Seuss

Ciao.

No comments: