Sunday, April 19, 2009

Boston Bound

To all my friends running Boston tomorrow morning, have a wonderful time! I've been out there for the marathon 3 times and it's just magic every time, no matter what the weather. The energy is palpable. It's such an EVENT. And I'm very excited to hear how Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher run. I've not found any TV broadcast scheduled for the Rochester area. ;-( Bummer.

This evening, 4 of us met at my house to discuss the Rochester Half Marathon route. (Pctured are Kevin Torgerson (talking to KC Reed on the phone), Dave Morrill and Larry Pederson)


It needs to change. The old course needs recertifying but the old course is not going to work with the extension of 20th St SE through Bear Creek and the 4th St bridge is going to be replaced. We're going to try to keep it in town and showcase some areas of town including Pill Hill, Soldier's Field and Quarry hill. Here's a proposed route that still needs tweaking: Proposed route

Kevin T. said that daughter Marissa ran the Earth Day half yesterday and saw me running but I was talking to someone so she didn't interrupt. I wish she would have! It would have been fun to greet her. She's running Grandma's with Kevin and it will be her first marathon.

As a recovery workout today, I swam for an hour. I found out that there are 5 lanes open for lap swimming if you go when the pool opens on Sunday. Much better than 2 lanes with 2 or 3 in a lane, though I still had to share a lane for a while. For the first 45 minutes or so, there were two lanes next to me occupied by swimmers from one of the high school swim teams. Let me tell you ... we were participating in two totally different sports! I swear they were swimming twice as fast as I was. Amazing. And fun to watch. So proficient. I got 44 laps in during my hour, so it was an average swim for me. And good news ... Judy and Tom Weller joined the Y today. I am so excited!! Welcome!! I'm going to swim with my wetsuit for the first time on Wednesday. I'm excited to see how it feels.

Tomorrow noon, a Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer meeting. I'm the new secretary and Cookie Queen. :-) I'll report on that meeting during tomorrow's post. 5 pm I'll be volunteering with Community Food Response, a great organization that makes leftover food from restaurants, caterers, grocery stores, etc. available for free to those in need.

Thought for the day: "Speak kind words and you will hear kind echoes."

God kveld. (Norwegian: "Good evening".)

1 comment:

Views from a director said...

Wow ! There's going to be some significant hills on that course. Looks pretty cool though, I like the loop near the Plumber mansion and the Quarry Hill area.