Saturday, June 14, 2008

Super Saturday


Beauty of a day out there! Great weather this morning for our 9-mile run. There were about 17-18 of us out there. Thank you to Kristin Zhao for the water stop at her home.

Tomorrow, some of us are off to Oxbow park for a 5-mile run. We're leaving Rochester at 8:00 and should be out there at 8:15 or so. Meet at the main parking lot, second left after entering (headquarters for the old Aviary Trail run). Anyone is welcome to join us. If my sources are correct, I believe there will be rhubarb cake for a post-run treat. ;-)

Several people have asked me this week how my husband Ted is doing after his bout with pneumonia. Very well. Doesn't cough much any more and is back on his racing bike ...


which is the truest test for how he's feeling. (He just said he's 98%.) Still doesn't have the lung capacity he did before the pneumonia, but he's getting there. Thank you for asking.

I had a little brainstorm this week while I was out running Wednesday morning. I was thinking about All Comers and thought it might be fun to have an RTC mascot named Strider who would wander around the infield during meets (as well as at other events) goofing around with the kids, taking advantage of photo ops, etc. The board seemed to like the idea, so I went home and investigated. I found that mascot costumes are EXPENSIVE (several hundred to several thousand dollars). I used google and eBay to see what was available. I was thinking a costume that looked like a person/runner rather than an animal, which are more generally available. Here's a link to a head only, which would work (it's pictured on a baseball player) but it's expensive $795. I thought I'd post this in case a reader had a source for mascots, or someone who might know how to make one, etc. If you do, please contact me. Thanks.

I volunteered to help early at the triathlon on June 29 (church activities later in the morning). I will be helping with late packet pickup and then ... body marking. Writing numbers on participants bodies. I could have fun with that (smiley emoticons, etc.) but I won't. I'll be good. I promise. ;-)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and again, Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there. Back to the newsletter for me ...

1 comment:

etta said...

Hey Renee-
If you need someone to BE the mascot, count me IN!! I've always wanted to do that, and I love kids!
Now, how do I get in on these super saturday runs? Looks like fun...especially the eating part!