Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rochesterfest Triathlon, June 29



Fun, and very full day! Started at 5:30 am when I reported for duty at the triathlon--chip handout and body marking. Then I watched the goings-on. There was a lot of nervous apprehension amongst some of the new triathletes, especially about the swim. The waiting is the hardest part before any event. Once you get under way, you just do what you've trained your body to do and the nervousness just vanishes once that gun goes off.

I took almost 200 photos today. Posted the ones that I thought would be of general interest. It was fun watching the swim. I believe I heard the announcer say that recent Century H.S. grad Alex Kiel had the fastest swim in about 17 minutes. I also like seeing all those fancy bikes. Lots and lots of bucks in equipment in that transition area. They had a pretty stiff north wind to deal with which meant that going out on the bike would be a challenge. Didn't see too much of the run. (Had to get to church and serve lunch to 343 people. Busy day. I was beat when I got home. Promptly took an hour and a half nap.)

Congrats to Mark Carey who came in 4th in the Olympic distance. Chris Koch came back to the transition area quite early and racked his bike and was just kind of wandering around. I asked him what was up. Rear hub problems. (Ted said it sounded like cone nut problems.) Bummer. Poor guy. As he said, tough race season. He's training for a 50K and I believe a 50-miler (run) later in the season along with Rob Mitchell.

From Mike Schmitt: Donut Run 5K I've heard of this race before. Time is subtracted for each Krispy Kreme eaten during the race.

Just saw Tyson Gay run 9:68 ( or something close ) for the 100m. Unfortunately, there was too much wind otherwise it would have been a world record. Michael Phelps also just set a world record (swimming) in the 400 IM at the trials.

After posting the above photos, went for a run. Who did I see? Tom Woo. Tom was at the Tri on the run segment and took photos. When he gets them posted, I'll try to add some to the slideshow. Tom was doing a two-a-day, having run with Tom O'Leary in Byron this morning. Randy McKeeman went by on the bike a bit later.

Eric (my son) passed his Minnesota insurance license exam. ;-) Good job, Eric.

On tap for tomorrow? Strawberries! Which means jam as well. Yum. I should make some bread to go with it.

Talk at you later. Ha det bra. (That's Norwegian: literally, have it good.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics!

Thanks for posting!

Mark CArey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pictures! It was a beautiful morning once everything was underway. When I left the house it was raining and windy. Getting in that lake didn't seem like such a good idea. But, I think the swim was actually the most fun. If you know of anyone who wants to sell a used bike let me know! -Jenny Bradt