Monday, June 9, 2008

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right
--Here Comes the Sun, The Beatles

Finally! A nice day, sun shining, breezes blowing, and no imminent threat of storms and the associated humidity. Love it.

Didn't get a chance to post after Chester Woods 10 Mile. Too many other things needing my attention, I guess. My niece Kaleigh and nephew A.J. brought their parents over for a visit. And I'm trying to get the newsletter done this week ...
























Anyway, Chester Woods was just so much fun. I just love running in the woods. Even when the heavens open up just before mile 9 and I get soaking wet. Great turnout too. Kudos to Jim Mason, Larry Pederson and Fred Woolman for putting on a great event. The Burma Shave signs were fun. I started out reading all of them but didn't get all of the last couple sets. We lost a lot of daylight in the woods between 8 and 9 miles and from almost 9 to 10 all I could think about was the rain ... and not wanting to get hit by lightning as I felt like a wet lightning rod running through the meadow. Here's a very nice summary of the event from a Minnesota trail runner who participated.

The running part was kind of interesting for me. First off, shortly before the race started I was walking through the parking lot with K.C. and walked right into this behemoth trailer hitch that stuck out about a foot from the back of a pickup. Totally didn't see it. All I could think was ma-a-a-a-an, why did I have to do THAT? Stung something fierce and gave me a little bump and bruise on my shin. Then not too many miles in, I felt a stinging on my leg and though I'd brushed up against some nettles as I was running next to someone and was in some tall grass. But it was a little scratch with a nice hard bruise underneath. Don't know if that happened with the run-in with the trailer hitch or what. But neither thing really bothered me on the run. More of a nuisance. What did seem to bother me a bit was the heat and especially humidity, at least until the rain came. Just felt sluggish the whole time. Not used to the humidity and never fare very well in it. I'm just not a small person. The other thing was side stitches, which was a first for me. Something hadn't been quite right for a few days before and certainly wasn't right after I was done. I had to pull off and get out of my car even before I left the park because my torso was full of cramps, stitches, etc. Very weird. Had to try to stretch them away. Don't know what was going on with that. But the event was just great. Loved it. Great way to spend the morning. Forgot to get a photo of all the gals wearing skirts. Bummer.

I carried my camera, of course, stopped at all the water stops to drink and walked the hills. Had I to do it again I probably would have left the camera in the car as my 'on the run' photos were all blurry, I would have run while drinking (but didn't want to litter in the woods as I drink slowly) and would have run the hills. Oh, well. Live and learn.

I'm going to make a dedicated effort to run on the trails more. My body didn't seem to feel the results of any pounding afterward, which was great. And it's soooooo beautiful out in the woods. And I think it's a better workout that the roads, for the hills anyway. Judy Weller and I will be tripping through some woods somewhere on Saturday. ;-) I'm hoping to run a 50K trail run somewhere next year. Just to finish.

Sunday I decided to run a variation of the Fetzer 20K that I'm thinking of using for next year. This photo is from the bridge just to the west of Bamber Valley School. The water was running high.
Well, I stopped my GPS while I took a couple photos in the woods ...
and forgot to start it up again. Oh ma-a-a-a-a-a-an, why did I have to do that? Defeated the whole purpose of running this thing. But I remembered the mileage at a certain point from last time I did part of it so continued from there. Photo of Bamber Lake from Salem Road. Could just as well be 'up nord', eh?

Ted was also out there riding it on his bike on the same route and we both agreed that it would be a good course, with a good wide spot for the turnaround point. Seen on the run: A marathon training class alum from fall '07 who knew my name, but I didn't know his (which seems to happen a lot to me--soooo bad with names--much better with faces) and who asked about Boston so walked with him and his 2 lady friends for a bit, Kathy Kenny (we talked for quite a while apparently--we have kids the same age ... I had .7 miles on my GPS after restarting it and after talking with her had 26:53 for time ;-),
Brendan Sherman (one of Eric's CC teammates from Mayo who now runs for Macalaster, I believe) recognized me from behind and had about enough time to say Hi, Renee before blasting by me ......, James Funk and finally Brian Polokowski. Ran maybe a mile with Brian and his 28-month old daughter Gigi who was in a jogger. He's doing well and is very busy with family and farm. Nice guy. Ventured past our community garden plots. Everything is doing well, including the weeds. Peas and potatoes pictured.

It's been nice not having to haul water down there, though.














13.45 miles later my legs were shot. Then I get home and Eric wanted to go clothes shopping. He starts an internship at Thrivent today. By the time I collapsed on my chair at the dinner table, I had had way too much time on my feet for the day.

All Comers' meets continue Tuesday, June 10 at 6:00pm at Soldier's Field track. We can always use volunteers. Just show up at the track about 5:45. Ribbon hander-outers, long jump pit help, etc. are the positions needed. It's great fun. Tuesday, June 17 is the All Comers' mile, a Grand Prix as well as Youth Grand Prix event. Free to all.

The Rochesterfest Triathlon has over 400 entrants and a limit of 500. $10 discount to RTC members. Also there is a need for volunteers. Contact Bill Nevala if you can volunteer. I'll be there in some capacity, possibly run course volunteer coordinator if my schedule permits. (It's our 75th anniversary celebration at church that day as well.)

The Mazeppa Daze 5K, which was scheduled for July 12 and had been included on the printed RTC calendars, has been cancelled according to race director Dave Josselyn.
New website/blog for Lace Up Against Breast Cancer . They are having a fundraiser at Caribou Coffee by Methodist hospital on July 12. 20% of proceeds for the day will be given to LUABC. More info on their website and in the July issue of RTC News.

Cute new Running Room private label attire at Running Room. Baby blue tops with a fun neckline and matching skorts. Also comes in black. On Saturday, Sonja Kranz and I agreed that we really liked our Smart Wool socks, for summer or winter. They are also available at Running Room. Very comfortable and they don't come in white so you're not fighting to keep them from getting so dingy looking as is the case with white socks.
Tonight is Cooking Light. On the menu:
Margo Crackers & Gingered Rhubarb Chutney
Renee Mesclun with Berries and Sweet Spiced Almonds
(Shortbread if I get around to it)
Barbara Robin's Rice
One bottle wine
Barb Green beans & Potatoes in Chunky Tomato Sauce
Kathryn Chai-brined shrimp skewers
Wine
Pam Naan or Pita (or other ethnic bread)
One bottle wine
Mary Cool, Creamy Chocolate Dessert
Well, I really must get back to the newsletter. I'm busy every night this week.
Toodles, friends!

1 comment:

Kel said...

Hi Renee - I found your blog from RD Jim's. I really enjoyed your pictures from Chester Woods since I didn't bring my camera that day.

I had a great time running in a beautiful park that I'd never been to before, and the volunteers were top notch!

I hope to share the trail with you some time.