Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday

Not too much going on today. But I'll tell you what I know.

Indoor Tri at the Y on March 15. First wave starts at 8:30 AM. Short course: 1/8 mile swim, 1.5 mile run, 5 mile bike (that's the order they're listed on the entry form ...). Long course: 1/4 mile swim, 3.2 mile run, 10 mile bike. Register by 3/9: $20 (member), $30 (non-member) for adults. There are adult teams ($15/$25 per person, max of 3), youth and youth team entries agailable. 3/10 prices go up $10. Free training Wed. nights from 6:30 to 8:30 2/11 through 3/11 in all 3 disciplines. Stop in at the pool or fitness center. Contact Robin Chambers at robinc@rochfamy.org or 507.287.2260 ext. 332 for more info.

Here's the logo in the works for the 25th annual Rochester Half Marathon (formerly Holiday Inn Half, formerly Giuseppi's Half). Nice!

I ran with the Running Room group this evening. Ran down there and dropped off my cookies, ran something over to church, ran back to Running Room, ran with Tom Williamson and Dave Clements around the lake and then ran home--11.43 miles. It was very pleasant for February, especially going east ... i.e. strong NW wind. Running home was a blast. Literally. Right in the face.

Pictured below: Dave Clements, Andy Shulha, Jenny Mueller.

Henry Biar, Tom Williamson, Karen Williamson, Judy Weller.

Daniel Arnold (our esteemed manager). :o)

There are some pink and red apparel items on sale at Running Room. Get 'em while they're hot.

The bike path is in superb condition for Lace-Up on Sunday. Just a little bit of ice here and there along the sides, but otherwise dry and clear. Couldn't ask for more than that at this time of year. No precipitation in the forecast through the weekend, either.

Thank you Judy Weller! Your pledge brought my Polar Plunge pledges to $755, $5 over my goal. I'm ready to take the plunge ... I guess ... maybe ... or maybe not ... Word has it Bill Nevala is going to be there with a video camera. My oh my oh my ...

Here's the recipe for the bread I made for my Monday night cooking group. It was very well received.


Steel-Cut Oat Bread

1 c. steel-cut oats (I used Arrowhead Mills, and this recipe is from the box)
1/4 c. sorghum syrup (I used molasses but you could use honey for a milder flavor)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 tsp. salt
2 c. boiling water
2 c. unbleached white flour
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 c. warm water (85 degrees)
1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour

Combine steel-cut oats, syrup, oil and salt. Pour boiling water over oats, and while this mixture is cooling, dissolve yeast in 1/4 c. water. (If using instant yeast, just combine it with flour.) After yeast mixture sits for 10 minutes, add the yeast mixture to the oat mixture. Work in whole wheat flour and white flour. Knead the mixture and place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down. Place in oiled loaf pan. Let rise again to double in bulk. Bake for about 40 minutes at 375. Yum-O!! I brought homemade strawberry jam along for the ride...

Thought for the day: "It doesn't take a lot of muscle to give the heart a lift."

Toodles.

No comments: