Sunday, February 22, 2009

Suddenly, It's Sunday

The weekends just fly by, don't they? All of a sudden it's Sunday and the weekend is over. I have a very short week this week, however. I work tomorrow and then it's off to the Sarasota Florida area to visit my dad and step-mom. I can't wait. After 5 inches of new snow, it's been wonderful getting out my shorts, T-shirts and even a swimsuit. Sarasota forecast for thie week:

Tuesday Clear 72° F 50° F 22° C 10° C
Wednesday Clear 74° F 54° F 23° C 12° C
Thursday Partly Cloudy 76° F 54° F 24° C 12° C
Friday Partly Cloudy 76° F 56° F 24° C 13° C

I believe that's a keeper. ;o) I'll throw in a light jacket for good measure.

Lionel does a smashing job of blogging! If you haven't read his blog, do check it out. He's got a wonderful account of our Saturday run. He's much better with the written word than I am.

I've uploaded an entry form for the Indoor Triathlon at the Y to the RTC website. It's Sunday, March 15 at 8:30 AM.

I swam with Judy today. I'm continually plagued with cramps in my right calf (and am having troubles on the run with that leg/hip as well), but other than that I'm actually enjoying swimming. I can't believe I just said that! It's a good complement to running. It uses the upper body where running pounds the lower body. I'm finding swimming getting more and more relaxing, though I still have to think about it a little bit too much. Shaun keeps reminding me to roll, roll, roll and turn my head more to the side rather than up when breathing (he actually threatened to hit me on the head with a kickboard at one point! He was just kidding .. of course?). But it's slowly coming together. Judy and I got what I thought was the ultimate compliment today. A gal in the next lane, Sue, asked our advice on swimming. Being I've been in the pool 3 times, I am no expert; but at least I guess we look like we know what we're doing!! She's also training for the Rochesterfest Sprint Triathlon. It will also be her first. I also heard from the editor of the St. Cloud River Runners newsletter today that a group of them will be coming down to participate in the tri as well. Whoo hoo!!

Here's a CLIF bar commercial passed along by a St. Cloud River Runner/Triathlete. Made me LOL. Oh, my, what am I in for???

Sarah Torchia was at the Y today. She said that her brother Mike finished in the top 200 (there were 7,461 skiers registered!) in the full birkie and made it into the elite class. So ... I just went to the Birkie website. Same excellent ski for Joey Keillor. Just looked up their results for their first Birkebeiners: Michael: 188th male--29th in age division--2:39. Joey: 225th male--27th in age division--2:42. These are some awesome athletes.

The March issue of RTC News is done and shipped off to the printer. 28 pages of reading pleasure this month. Look for it in your mailboxes (and subsequently posted in the members only section of the RTC website website) in a week or so.

Ventured over to Winona yesterday afternoon for Matt's band concert at WSU.


(View of campus from the second level of the Performing Arts Center--PAC)

Really nice concert. The first half was music written for the Civil War era and a dance and a piece reminiscent of church bells. The second half was northern lights, north county, Scandinavian-inspired music. We drove over on 14 (not my choice). The road was terrible, especially between St. Charles and Utica.


After the concert, we stopped at the Bluff Country Co-Op. I hadn't been there before and Matt wanted to kill an hour or so before playing with the pep band at the evening's b-ball games. I enjoy looking through co-ops, natural food stores, etc. Always interesting 'stuff'.

Saw this bread. Didn't try it, but it looks interesting.

I bought some saf yeast, Muir Glen Cabernet Marinara pasta sauce and a loaf of flourless cinnamon raisin bread (made with sprouted wheat). We each tried a slice (interesting, but bland) and then I left it with Matt.


Today, elder son Eric is home. I made Baked Potato Soup, and his favorite veggie--Brussels Sprouts. He said the sight of them just makes his mouth water ... not the typical fare for a 22-year old! He said they had a party in Decorah last night and he made Brussels Sprouts. Who raised this kid??!!

Judy and I were talking during the swim and she said she was making a White Chicken Chili for supper. Sounded great. I told her to tell me how it turned out. She said it was great and she sent me the recipe. This sounds like one for my 'keeper' recipe files!

White Chicken Chili
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 ¾ lb), cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and black pepper
3 cans (14.5-oz size) white kidney or cannellini beans, drained (save ½ cup draining liquid) and rinsed
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 tsp canned chipotle chili, seeded and minced (I used mild green chilies instead)
½ cup nonfat half-and-half
Garnishes: Shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, chopped fresh cilantro
leaves

Instructions

Warm oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring. Push onion mixture to one side; add chicken to skillet; sprinkle mixture with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add 2 cans of the beans and draining liquid, 1 ¼ cups broth, and chipotle; bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.

Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 can beans and ¾ cup broth in bowl of food processor. Puree until smooth. Add to soup in pot, along with half-and-half. Simmer a few minutes, stirring, until warmed through and flavors incorporated. Serve hot; garnish with cheese and cilantro.

Nutritional Information
360 calories
41g protein
33 g carbohydrate
8 g fiber
5 g total fat
1g saturated fat
85 mg cholesterol
671mg sodium

Well, I've reached the end of yet another post and it's time that I sign off. I've still got lots and lots to do before I leave the frozen north country for the Sunshine State.

Quote for the day:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep." --Robert Frost

Peace.

No comments: