Monday, September 28, 2009

Superior Trail 2009

It was such a wonderful, fun trip. We all seemed so compatible, easy-going, low-maintenance. Let's see ... friends, fun, fitness, photos, food, ...


It started out with a run with the River Runners on Wednesday afternoon. Fun! We took the hilly route from Watab Park in Sartell over to Coborn's in Sauk Rapids, and then back to Watab Park via the flat, short route along the river. A little over 8 miles total. It was a good workout. Pictured above are: Paul Ford, Jay Johnson, Anita Baugh, Taggart Downare, Rick Hlebain, Tim Peterson, Arvid Fristad and Tim's friend (sorry I can't remember his name). And my shadow. :-)

I stayed at Ron and Bonnie's house (thank you!) and went for an early morning run in the neighborhood. It was a beautiful sunrise.



Before long, we (Paul, Gerry and I) were loaded up and on our way to the Temperance River State Park. (That's Gerry's Jeep and pop-up camper at a rest area on I-35).

We stopped at McDonald's just outside Duluth for lunch. (That's Gerry, Ron's brother.)

I had a salad ... of course!

Soon we could see Duluth, which brought back memories of my last trip to Duluth. Grandma's Marathon and that oppressive heat during the race. But otherwise a very fun weekend.

We arrived at our destination late that afternoon. A beautiful state park right on the shores of Lake Superior.

Ron and Bonnie had arrived a day before us and had set up camp. I slept in the tent below. Very comfortable quarters.

They wandered over to Gerry's campsite where we had dinner and a camp fire the first night.

We did a little hiking that first day along the Temperance. It's a beautiful river.

On Friday, I started the day with an 8 1/2 mile run. Later, we summited Eagle Mountain, a 7 mile round trip. On the way up, we stopped at Whale Lake for a snack and a little rest break. A beautiful spot.

On the way down, at this same spot, I did a double take. OMG ... Approaching on the path were some hikers and I couldn't believe it, but I knew the one leading the pack.

Dr. G. whom I knew from working out at the Y. Small world!

The hiking was difficult, the most challenging we'd encounter on the trip.

But it was worth it.

Gerry and Ron left a photo of their dad, who passed away in January, at the top of the mountain. This marker is at the highest spot in MN, 2301 feet above sea level.

Then we were off to Lake Agnes, where the colors were beautiful.

I think this was a 3 1/2 mile hike.


Then, White Sky Rock and Caribou Lake, a shorter hike. About 2 miles I think. (I know I ended up the day with 20 miles "on my legs".)

That's me on some makeshift stairs ... very cool!

I ended my day rehydrating some rice pilaf for supper, along with an English muffin with peanut butter. Satisfying. We enjoyed the camaraderie of talk around the camp fire, more stars than I'd ever seen in my life, and pleasantly tired legs. ;-)

The end of our first full day. My new friends felt like they were becoming old friends. :-) A good day. Day 2--tomorrow.

Ciao.

No comments: