Thursday, September 3, 2009

8 Hours and a Million Bucks

Last night I didn't set my alarm for this morning and I woke up at 6:41 AM. I got 8 hours sleep. It's been years and years and years since I've gotten that much sleep. Literally. And I felt like a million bucks all day long! This morning I ran 5 miles and lifted. Then I finished up the RTC News ...

and brought them to the bulk mail facility.


Then I met my friend Kirby at Rochester Cycling & Fitness to do some bike shopping. I think I've decided on a road bike. I think... I tried out a Trek Madone and a Cannondale six13. Both nice bikes. Went to Bicycle Sports and tried a Specialized. Didn't like that one as much. I still have some serious thinking to do, and need to take them out for a real ride. And I have to be sure I want a road bike vs. a tri bike. All these numbers and components and frames and everything are just spinning around in my brain.

Then late afternoon went for a 60.21 mile bike ride. I could have ridden and ridden and ridden (had fuel in my tank and there was no wind--finally!). But I wanted to get to Thursdays on First so I eventually made my way home. My ride took me to Salem Corners, then south toward Rock Dell. Just south of Salem Corners, a guy rode up beside me and said "Hi!" So we started chatting. I asked him where he was riding (Mantorville). I told him I had just been bike shopping and was deep in thought in the decision-making process. I told him what I had been looking at. Guess what he was riding? A Trek Madone!! He said he really liked it. Asked him his name. Chuck Sorenson. Nice guy. He said he'd heard of me. Probably on the RASC site and we both know Henry Walker.

So he said he'd ride to Rock Dell with me and then turn west. I went south to county 6 and over to High Forest, by the airport and over to Simpson. Just north of Simpson I could see a bike ahead of me. I was at 35-40 miles by this point. But I TOTALLY wanted to catch this bike. So I put the hammer down. I finally caught him just as we were approaching highway 52. I blew by him going 26 mph. TOTALLY fun. :-) Then I turned on Pinewood Road and headed over to Marion Road. Guess who drove by? Dan Strain.


We chatted for a while at the bp station. Mostly about bikes. Then I headed back to 52 and back up Marion Road and back to Pinewod Road where I got on the bike path. Over by S.F. I saw ...

Peggy, P.K. and Julie. So I chatted with them for a minute. Then I took the path all the way out to Salem Road and then home. 60.21 miles. I took a super quick shower, grabbed a hunk of Great Harvest 9 grain bread and went down to Thursdays on First. On the way I was trying to talk Etta into doing Treadman on Saturday. She better do it!! BTW: I'm working registration at Rochester Cycling and Fitness tomorrow (Fri.) from 4-6 PM. They still are in need of lots of volunteers. If you can help out either Friday or especially Saturday, please email Bill at WINMultisports@gmail.com

Thursdays on First was really hopping. Definitely the place to be this evening. Gorgeous summer evening, as so many of them have been. Thousands of people down there.


Saw SO many people I knew: Glen P. and a friend, Chuck P. and Mark D. from IBM, Paul and Paula, Andy,


Kathy, Gary, Ben, Kevin, Brenda, ... I can't remember them all. Julie and Chris joined me while I had a piece of cheese pizza from Bilotti's as I was suddenly starving!!

There are vendors selling all sorts of products. It's really a fun place to be!

There's a guy selling krumkake, lefse and rosettes (Norwegian treats).


And a gal selling these really fun bird made from wrought iron and rocks!

Well, it's pushing 11:00 PM again and I need to get to bed. Still so much more to post (including a couple of recipes) but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Good night!

No comments: