Friday, September 4, 2009

Summer ... We Hardly Knew 'Ya

Labor Day weekend signals the end of summer, even though it's not the meteorological nor the calendar end of the season. But with back-to-school day in Rochester on Tuesday, and most college students back on campus, for all practical purposes summer is over. It's so hard to believe. It went so quickly. I do enjoy fall with the crisp air, falling leaves, and football, but it's also hard to give up flip-flops, little sleeveless dresses, open windows, and running in shorts. :-(But there's no stopping the calendar ...

Today I got a late start for my morning run. 8:00 actually. My tummy was feeling a little off (Could it have been that cheese pizza and krumkake last night? I don't know. But I don't eat much rich food.) So I wasn't sure what the run would bring when I left the house. I figured I'd do a 2-mile warm-up, try at least one mile at tempo pace and go from there. I ended up doing a 5-mile tempo run. Splits: 6:57 6:42 6:32 6:37 6:41 (the last mile was a challenge). But I got 'er done and I was happy about it. With a cool-down, I got in 8.25 miles. I was thinking I'd go swimming at the Rec. Center in the afternoon, but that didn't happen. Tomorrow, the RAC run is 16 miles. I'll run 16 .. or so. ;-) I have a couple kinds of treats to bring.

I had my last Physical Therapy appointment today. I'm now on a maintenance program. My left leg could rotate externally to 60 degrees. My therapist said she'd never seen a 60 before. :-) She said that the things I'm doing are strengthening my glutes and giving me more power while running. I'm all for more power!! If anyone has any running "issues" I'd be very happy to recommend a good therapist and this particular therapy program.

Late this afternoon I went to Rochester Cycling & Fitness to help with Treadman Duathlon registration. I took a photo of the bike I like. It's a Trek Madone 5.2. Sweet. :-) It's soooooo light.

I might see if I can take it out for a spin tomorrow. Something more than around the block like I did yesterday. Biking jerseys are on sale for 30% off. Shorts are 25% off. I got a pair of Skirt Sports tri shorts--they were a steal. They're short, which I like. Short on the legs and low on the waist.

And who should happen to stop by, but Ironwoman Judy Weller. I LOVE this photo. It's so Judy--strong to the end, running in a skirt, excited, jubilant actually. She had every right to be.



Judy and Deb.

For supper I made a vegetarian chili. It was more like soup than chili, at least with the mix of beans that I used. I also added some ditalini pasta the last 20 minutes. It's good. Cooked some sweet corn in the pressure cooker, too.

I'm finally getting some ripe tomatoes from the garden, so the other day I made some pasta sauce.

Here's my recipe:
1 c. chopped onion (1 large onion)
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
4 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes (6 large), or two 14 1/2 oz cans tomatoes, cut up
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/3 c. water
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. In large saucepan or pot cook onion, sweet pepper, celery and garlic in olive oil until brown.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, basil, oregano, marjoram, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. I throw in some more fresh basil at the end too. I served it on a combo of spinach and whole wheat spaghetti.

Peg Arnold is looking for help staffing the Running Room water stop at the City of Lakes 25K on Sunday, September 13. If you can help out, please email her.

Congrats to Mike Schmitt and Ron Giles, who both submitted correct answers for the Who Is It? contest in the September RTC News. Where Is It? is still up for grabs. Give it a try. I've been known to provide some hints when necessary. Ron has already collected his Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies. I still owe Mike Oatmeal Raisin cookies.

Thought for the day: "I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see." --John Burroughs

Ciao.

No comments: