Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday Musings

Happy Monday! I'm sure it's back to work for many of you after an extended holiday.

I thought I'd share the cover photo on Rochester Women of Judy Weller, who won an Extraordinary Woman award. She's on the top with the brown jacket and pink blouse. Her daughter wrote such a wonderful recommendation letter. I hope you can pick up a free copy somewhere in town and read the article.


Running Room started a Learn to Run class this evening. But they will let you join for the next couple weeks if I remember right. Just stop by the store and ask about it if you're interested. It's a wonderful lifetime sport and a great way to meet some pretty amazing people.

My son Eric left for Europe AGAIN this morning. This time it's for a J-Term class called "Green Germany". They will spend most of the 3 weeks in Germany, but will also be seeing some of Denmark and Iceland.

One other RTC birthday this month ... Mike Schmitt!

This month's Consumer Reports has reviews of lots of home exercise equipment: treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes. I can't list them all here, but they may be online or the library probably has the magazine as well.

Being it's the season for dieting, weight loss, etc. I thought I'd pass along a tip from Chris O'Brien. Krusteaz makes an Alpine Spiced Cider mix that's sugar free and only 15 calories/cup. I tried it. It's good!

I've not made any progress on judging those RRCA writing awards. I must get to that tomorrow as they're due on Friday. After I order the cake for the RTC banquet on Saturday, that is. I made a photo collage and that's going to be airbrushed (or however they do it) onto the cake. There is still time to RSVP to David Sletten but he's got to have the final numbers to the banquet facility by Thursday, so you'd best RSVP by Wednesday.

I tried a new soup recipe for supper tonight, and really liked it. The cookbook was a gift from a dear friend. It's not asparagus season yet, but it is available fresh in the stores.

It's supposed to be completely pureed, but I left some chunks of peppers and asparagus. I also didn't have tarragon and didn't feel like running to the store, but I think it would have been a nice addition. I sprinkled a little extra balsamic vinegar in my bowl before eating.

Red Pepper Asparagus Soup

3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 pounds (about 5 cups) asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 medium red potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 leek, rinsed, thinly sliced (or substitute 3/4 c. thinly sliced onion)
1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
2 (14-ounce) cans vegetable broth (I used chicken)
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or soy sauce
1 Tbsp finely choped fresh tarragon leaves (or 1 tsp. crushed dried tarragon)
2 cups fat free half & half or milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. sour cream (I left this out)
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon leaves (or 1/8 tsp. crushed dried tarragon, I left this out)

Melt butter in 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until sizzling; add asparagus, potatoes, leek, bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisply tender (10 to 12 minutes).

Stir in broth, balsamic vinegar and tarragon. Continue cooking until asparagus is tender (10 to 12 minutes). Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Stir in half & half, salt and pepper.

Place 2 cups soup in 5-cup blender container. Cover; blend until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup, 2 cups at a time. (I just used an immersion blender.) Place soup in 4-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat until soup is heated through (8 to 10 minutes). Combine sour cream and 1/2 tsp. tarragon leaves in small bowl. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp. sour cream mixture.

Yum! A nice crusty baquette would have been divine.

Quote for the day: "The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination." -Tommy Lasorda

Until we meet again.

Ramblin' Renee

No comments: