Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Brrrrrrrr!!!

That's an understatement. Be careful if you're running outdoors. Myself, I finally caved in and ran on a treadmill at the Y this morning, much as I don't like to do so as I find it incredibly boring. I hadn't tried any of the new treadmills, so got on a Freemotion treadmill (has an incline of -3% to 30%) for some speedwork. Getting to Boston 2010 isn't just going to happen ... I'm going to have to make it happen. Lisa ran next to me for the first 3 miles or so while I was warming up. Then I did: at 1% incline, 5 x [.5 mile at 6:40 pace, .1 mile at 4:00 pace (walk & drink), .4 miles at 8:00 pace] followed by 3 miles at 7:30 pace. I was tired at the end, but not trashed, so it was a good workout and I liked the new treadmill. The speed changed quickly and the belt was decent. So I'll be back, for speedwork anyway. :)

Bill Nevala just called and invited me to participate in the Rochesterfest Triathlon on June 29 ... as a V.I.P.!! Ha!! Bill is the race director. That would mean ... a swim. I swim, but don't do so for exercise as a rule. But it's definitely gotten me thinking ... I am always up for a challenge. I'll have to talk to Judy Weller. She'll talk me into it for sure. I'd have to get a wetsuit ... Stay tuned!!

Interested in helping out at the Rochester Half Marathon? We'll be meeting on Thursday, January 22 at 5:30. Location TBD. Contact Jean Murray if you can help out.

Kim Maxwell, our Minnesota RRCA rep, contacted me yesterday. She's submitting the Fetzer 20K as a regional championship race for 2009. It's already a state championship event. I don't know whether it will qualify, but it was nice of her to give it a try!! Again, stay tuned.

Off-Season Striders will run at Dunn Bros. on Elton Hills Drive (think blue cornmeal pancakes!) at 7:30 on Saturday morning. Mileage and route: TBD. But we hope you show up just because it's so much fun to run with friends. :) You just never know when you'll make a new one ...

From Mike Holmes: a very unique treadmill workout. I don't think I'm coordinated enough to pull this one off.

From Kelly Lyndgaard, who now calls the Somers, NY area home: I looked up the results of the local 10K race in my little town - out of 41 runners for the 10K, only one was a woman!!! Sadness! The good news is, I might win ;) ... You go, girl!!

In tonight's Post-Bulletin, a story from Paul Christian about the competition that now exists for the Med-City marathon. I've not read it yet, but have heard about the marathon in Stillwater and the Team Ortho marathon in Minneapolis.

Time for another recipe. I can't remember if I've posted this one before, but it's yummy. From the Rochester Quilters' Sew-ciety cookbook.

Autumn Butternut Casserole

3 c. mashed, cooked butternut (or buttercup) squash
4 Tbsp. butter (optional, or you can use less. I omit this)
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
6 c. sliced, unpared Jonathan apples (about 2 lbs. --you can use another type of apple)
1/4 c. white sugar
1 1/2 c. corn flakes, coarsely crushed
2 Tbsp. melted butter

Season squash with optional butter and 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter in a skillet; add sliced apples; sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar; cover and simmer over low heat until barely tender (about 5 minutes). Spread in a 3-quart casserole (9 x 13); spoon mashed squash evenly over apples. Mix corn flakes with pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar and melted butter. Sprinkle over squash. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Makes 8 servings.

Well, I don't have any recent photos to post, so I'll post one from Florida last year, just to remind us that this (weather) too shall pass. :)


Quote for the day: "The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't." --H.W. Beecher

Toodles.

No comments: