Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Loss, To Be Sure

When I got home today, I found out that a friend from the Y, Orrin Knutson, passed away yesterday. I was, and am, so very sad. The last time I saw him was at the Y on Thursday, I believe it was, and he went about his normal routine. I noticed I hadn't seem him yet this week and was wondering what was up. For the last several years, we've shared a fun, teasing relationship at the gym. He grew up speaking some Norwegian at home, so we'd practice our Norwegian on each other and get some strange looks from others while doing so! And we bantered back and forth each and every day. Lately, he's been concerned about my weight and would ask me, "You haven't lost more weight have you?" He gave me yellow roses on my birthday last year and the pink roses in the photo above (son Eric in the photo in the background) this year. It still hasn't really sunk it that he's gone. I will really, really miss him.

Speaking of the Y ... pictured in an ad for the Y in an insert in the Post-Bulletin this evening is my friend and yours, the ultimate fun-loving, artist extraordinaire Julie Murray!

As of yesterday, Chris Kujath is now Grandma Kujath! Destiny Rose is her name. Very pretty baby. And a very proud grandma.

We have another birthday to add to the RTC January birthday list, that of Sue Christian who was spotted on the run on 20th St SE on New Year's day. And welcome to new RTC members Betsy Baartman and Brett Carroll (Mayo H.S. cross country and track coach). Welcome!

From Larry Pederson: I talked to John Beltz at Broadway Suites today and he says come on over and do the stairs on Saturday. So lets plan on it, start at Silver Lake at 7:30 and hit the stairs at about 7:45. (I did the trial run, or climb I guess!, last year and the actual climb as well. It's an aerobic challenge to be sure. Give it a try!)

Well, I just finished ranking all 20 or so club writers for the RRCA journalism awards. My eyes and my brain are tired, and I'm glad to be done, though I'm going to go back and re-look at the eNewsletters again tomorrow. Anyway, in reading the articles this evening, who should be mentioned but our own Judy Weller! By a writer from Pensacola Florida who ran the Rocky Raccoon 50-miler with Judy. Also mentioned was Linda the owner of Marathon Charms who Judy introduced me to at the Route 66 marathon in Tulsa in 2007. Small world, isn't it?

My thought for the day is Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

To everything there is a season,
a time for every purpose under the sun.
A time to be born and a time to die;
a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
a time to kill and a time to heal ...a time to weep and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn and a time to dance ...a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to lose and a time to seek;
a time to rend and a time to sew;
a time to keep silent and a time to speak;
a time to love and a time to hate;
a time for war and a time for peace.

No comments: