Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Miscellany

Yesterday, I went shopping with the Lenz/Rowekamp's at Sam's Club. We were scouting out cookie baking ingredients for the LUABC Cookie Baking Extravaganza on Saturday. That's Abby Rowekamp pictured with mom Laura Lenz above.

I think Sam and I talked about making cut-out cookies the whole time. He's got some GREAT ideas. And in fact, he sent me some in a wonderful letter, which is hanging on my refrigerator.


Sam thinks this one would work well at Chester Woods, as there are so many trees on that trail run. I couldn't agree more. Another idea, this one for the Broadway Stair Climb:

Complete with a licorice hand rail. So creative! We're going to work on this. We also have some festive cookie ideas brewing for the Fetzer , which is the day before Easter. Stay tuned.

I found some running cookie cutters at National Running Center. A shoe and a running gingerbread man. :o)

The RASC fundraiser on Friday netted more than $8100 for ski trail development and the All-City Nordic Ski Team. This is fantastic! Thank you to anyone who supported the cause in any way ... with your time, talents, or treasure.

Eric, my 22-year old son, just called from my dad's place near Sarasota, FL. It was 75 when he got off the plane this afternoon. Nice. Very nice. Practically perfect. Here's a link to his European photos. The most recent ones are from Iceland, Denmark and (mostly) Germany. He spent his J-term there. While in Germany, he had a one-night stay with a family. The husband in the family had his own business ... making custom accessories for Harley Davidson motorcycles. Eric said he got to see the factory. He said the guy drove a really nice SUV, and that SUVs were very uncommon in Europe. The Harley custom accessory business must be good.

Spotted last night at the Rochester Amateur Sports Club awards dinner was the Mayerle family (Joe, Emily and Tonia). Emily is a huge Jennie Finch fan. Jennie, an Olympic gold medal softball pitcher, was the guest speaker. As part of the event, there was various sports memorabelia to bid on in a silent auction. Amongst the items up for bid:

An autographed photo of the Minnesota Vikings Purple People Eaters. Guess you have to be at least my vintage to remember these guys (Jim Marshall, Alan Page, Gary Larsen, Carl Eller). Pictured above #88 is Alan Page, who plays the tuba at mile 3 of the Twin Cities Marathon each year. Of a much more recent vintage:


An autographed Joe Mauer print.

On sale at Running Room: most models of Adidas shoes. Shop early for the best selection! And don't forget about the eMagazine with the 20% off coupon inside, which is good all month. On March 14, consider running the Running Room's Lucky Green 5K to be held at Soldier's Field.

Well, I guess I'll close for today. I'm planning to run in the morning, which I look forward to.

Quote for the day: "No man ever said on his deathbed I wish I had spent more time in the office."

Make the most of all the minutes in your days. Spend time with those you love.

Cheers.

No comments: