Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer, we hardly knew 'ya ...

Well, it's almost Labor Day weekend. Already. Seems like summer took forever to get here (weather-wise anyway) and here we are ready to send the kids back to school, dig out the long pants and long sleeves, pack up the sandals ... But these are also the best days of the year for our sport with the cool, crisp air, the crunch of leaves under foot and the trees beginning to display their true colors.

Very nice photos of Jim Hannon and Ron Giles (right) and Pete Gilman and Kelly Mortenson in the Post-Bulletin of the Rochester Half Marathon. Everyone looks so serious! Great turnout for the events and nice weather (which most likely contributed to the good turnout!). Thank you to K.C. Reed for once again giving a good part of his summer to put on the biggest and best race that RTC has to offer the running community.

Looking back at the 1992 results, Kelly Mortenson (from the cities) ran it for second place in 1:12:18 then, 1:13:44 also for second place, this year. Winston Stellner (Byron) was 12th in 1:19:34 then, 4th in 1:16:11 this year. Jim Hannon was 13th in 1:20:03 in 1992, 1:16:41 for 5th place this year. Back then it was Giuseppi's Half Marathon, and I believe it was a different course. (I hadn't started running yet and knew nothing about it.)

I was looking through the old issues of RTC News. In the Sept/Oct 1992 issue, John Resman wrote: "Volunteer clubs usually rely on the efforts of a few key individuals to keep going. As long as there is a turnover of the people willing to put for this effort, the RTC will continue to provide an excellent service to the running community. We have to remember to contribute our share and take charge at times to prevent burnout among the main volunteers." I've been thinking quite a bit about just this same thing the last 24 hours. We can't take our volunteers, or our events, for granted. Please consider giving of a couple of hours here and there during the year to make sure that the RTC is able to continue to provide quality, safe events for the years to come. And ... you just might enjoy it. And make some new friends. :-)

Here's a link from Mike Schmitt giving a very detailed analysis of the amazing Olympic marathon run on Saturday in Beijing. An Olympic record was set on a warm and humid day. It was a pretty great race. Even though the Americans didn't medal, I thought they ran very well with Dathan and Ryan placing 9th and 10th.

I was in HyVee the other day. Powerade is 50 cents a bottle and includes (what I think is new) Powerade Zero (zero calories, available in berry, strawberry and grape). I bought a bottle of berry but haven't tried it yet.

TreadMan socks have arrived and look very nice.


We still need volunteers (setup, cleanup, registration, finish line, water stop, course marshals) and participants for the TreadMan Duathlon TreadMan Duathlon on Saturday, September 27. If you can volunteer, please contact Sarah Shonyo. And you will earn a cinch socks and socks for volunteering. We'd be most grateful. Also, this is a great event for beginning duathletes as well as experienced ones. You don't need a fancy bike to participate. ;-)

I guess my Mayo Medical Edge interview will take place on Monday, September 15. They will also be doing a video of me running. ;-0 Oh, my.

I ran with the 'Y guys' yesterday. Pictured below, left to right, Gary Malat, Dan "I Love That Camera" Edwards, Jim Hebl, K.C. Reed.

Pictured below: Mike Holmes, Gary Malat, Priscilla Smith, K.C. Reed.

Left to right: Ann Holmes, Sara Holmes, their summertime caregiver, and Mike Holmes.

Spotted at Soldier's Field during our Wednesday morning run today, Dave Morrill. ;-)

I have a new chocolate chip cookie recipe to try either for RTC Newsletter assembly here tomorrow night (6:30 pm, 2026 Kal Lane SW--hint! hint! Be the first to get your newsletter!) or for the Saturday 20-miler beginning at the RAC. The whole recipe makes only 20 cookies so they're on the large side. I'm determined to find a recipe that earns me a blue ribbon at the fair. If only I knew what those judges were looking for ...

"You may forget with whom you laughed, but you will never forget with whom you wept."

Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

russells said...

Cute socks, cute bag! I emailed Sarah to make sure I'm on the volunteer list. That will be my easy week-end as the folloowing one I will run the Crazy Horse Half. I haven't forgotten about getting the bike trainer back to you ;-)