Sunday, August 10, 2008

In the middle of the night, I go walking in my sleep ...

In the middle of the night
I go walking in my sleep
Through the valley of fear
To a river so deep ... (River of Dreams, --Billy Joel)

Of what do I speak? Ragnar Relay!! We've been given an approximation of our running times. I'm running the 9th, 21st and 33rd legs which are approximated to be at 5:09 pm, 4:01 am and 11:41 am if everyone runs their approximate 10K pace. Lots of approximations, here. Anyway, I don't think that's too bad. I can be semi-coherent at 4:01 am and I'm guessing that the folks running in the dark in the middle of the night won't be running their usual 10K pace so I could very well be running later than 4:01 am. I'd personally rather run at 4 am than 1 or 2 am. Speaking of Ragnar, a Rochester team still needs a male and a female runner. If you are interested in participating (and it sounds like a lot of fun!), contact Andy at 631-678-3053.

Well, the Olympics are under way as I'm sure you all know. Track & Field doesn't start until the 15th, but there's still plenty to watch. Even sports that I don't participate in (gymnastics (I was always about a foot too ball), swimming, volleyball (I did do that one for a couple years)) are so enjoyable to watch--seeing the best athletes in the world give their all in an attempt at winning a medal. And it's nice to be able to turn on the TV on and have something that's worth watching. ;-)

Went down to Running Room to try on the new Nike pink and black threads. Turns out I liked the top I thought I'd like the most, the least. But I bought the two other ones. And the tempo track shorts, which are my favorite. I bought the last size medium shorts, but did you know that if you don't see the size you need they can have it sent in from another store? Just ask! No extra charge.



Speaking of Running Room, the manager position is also available (in addition to assistant manager). Please send your resume to 711 S. Broadway if you're interested in applying. Spread the word.

The cinch bags and socks have arrived for TreadMan TreadMan (duathlon--5K run--32K bike--5k run on September 27). We still need volunteers and participants! Here's the bag:


Well, yesterday dawned a lot more humid than I'd anticipated. I wanted to get in a 20-miler as the next 2 weekends won't be conducive to doing that (two weddings next weekend, then Ragnar) and I want to get in at least 3 20-milers before TCM. So I started early at the RAC and ran 3 miles with Nacho (Ignacio), Tom and Greg.

I stopped at the corner to take a picture of a rainbow.

So. It was plenty humid even at 6:15 am or so, so I had my doubts about whether I'd get 20 in. I don't do well in the humidity. Turns out there were LOTS of people there for the 7:00 start.

From the RAC, we headed east on 19th St, then north on 18th Ave to 48th St NW, then east to the Watson soccer fields where we had our first of 4 water stops (15 mile route). As always, THANK YOU water stop volunteers.


From there it was south on West River Parkway toward Silver Lake. I met Candy and Barb running toward us, so I stopped and talked to them for a while. When we hugged, they told me I was very sweaty. How right they were. ;-) (That's Dan Strain on the right.)

After several minutes, they said I better keep running lest I lose my running buddies.

Our next water stop was at Jefferson School, 14th St NW and 11th Ave. A chance to fuel up before heading up Viola Hill. I ran down 14th St with Elisa Johnson and Roger Heil. Elisa was a 'guest' with us, living in Janesville, MN and camping with her family in Zumbro Falls. She's training for C.I.M (California International Marathon) which takes place in December. She's run Fetzer, SEMYO and Rochester Half in the past.

Then it was up Viola Hill and through Quarry Hill and back to Silver Lake for water stop 3. Water stop volunteer 1/3 was the winner for the wonderful treats she had for us:



After this, the next few miles were challenging. I started cramping (left calf), so had to back off. I'd taken 2 GUs and had a few chunks of bananas and plenty of Powerade and water, but stopped at Methodist hospital for 4 little glasses of water as I still felt thirsty (and I'd been sweating A LOT--my socks were soaked). On 11th Ave NW, I saw the smallest car I'd ever seen. I think there was room for only one person inside.

After the last water stop I perked up a bit and made another loop out 7th St NW, County 22 and back to the RAC for 20.03 miles. Had a bottle of G2 and then went out for just a couple more minutes for a total of 21.37 miles. After all was said and done, I felt good about the run. I thought I'd go home and collapse on the couch, but instead I went from the RAC to Sam's Club and then home to freeze 12 pints of green beans...

... then my brother and family came over for dinner. As I still don't have a functional oven, we had pizza from O'Neil's and a Sam's Club cake. My baby brother (about 8 years younger) turned 40 yesterday.

Speaking of food, tomorrow is Cooking Light cooking club at RTC member Kelly Lyndgaard's house. She's got a darling new short haircut. Kelly looks so cute no matter how long or short her hair is. ;-) Here's our menu:

Pam - Summer Squash Pizza
Renee - Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Marshmallow Cream Filling
Kelly - Grilled Grouper with Basil Lime Pistou
Kathryn - fruit dessert of your choice
Barb - Angel Biscuits
Mary - wine, Peas and Pods
Margo - Spinach Salad with Stone Fruits and Maple-spiced Pecans
Barbara - Fingerling Potato Salad with Gremolata dressing

I'm switching with Mary as I can't bake. I'm SOOOOO lost without an oven. I have a service call scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. I sure hope they don't have to order more parts. Apparently the little meltdown of the heating element did more damage than just ruin the element.

Well, that's it for today. This got to be a long post! Enjoy this beautiful day. It's spectacular. I think I'll grab Marathon & Beyond and plunk down on the chaise on the patio.

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."--Muriel Strode

Ciao.

No comments: