Friday, August 15, 2008

Fabulous Friday

What a beautiful forecast we have for today and the weekend. Love it!

I’ve been waiting for my dreams
To turn into something I could believe in
And looking for that Magic rainbow
On the horizon ...
And I’ll taste every moment
And live it out loud
I know this is the time,
This is the time
To be more than a name
Or a face in the crowd
I know this is the time
This is the time of my life
Time of my life
The Time of My Life --David Cook

I think that must just about say it all for the Olympians competing in Beijing. I'm so enjoying the coverage, rooting for the favorites and the underdogs as well. I'm not able to watch much this week so I'll have lots of recorded coverage to enjoy when the games are over. This evening, late night, women's 10000m final. Tomorrow 6:30 pm, women's marathon.

In the photo above, Tom Woo is running on the left side of the road in a white shirt/black shorts behind someone wearing a white shirt/black shorts. It's Maribelle's 5K in Seabrook, TX. The leader in this picture is former New Zealand Olympian Sean Wade and the overall winner. Sean is the 2006 Running Times Masters Runner of the Year. He ran a 15:29 in this race. Tom took 2nd in his age group, 11th overall out of 362 finishers. Beer and Pizzas after the race before 8AM :)

Will the real Larry Pederson please stand up?? This picture just cracks me up. (Thank you Kevin Torgerson for taking it on your cell phone and sending it to me.) Both of the gentlemen in this photo are named Larry Pederson, and they both actually spell their last name the same way--'d', no 't'!! Larry on the left is 'ultra Larry', race director for In Yan Teopa and the Superior Trail races. Larry on the right is the just-retired All Comers, and Broadway Stair Climb Larry. :0)

Race notes: The Mayo Open cross country 5K race location is to be determined. Brett Carroll, high school meet director, spotted inline skating down 11th Ave SE on Wednesday morning!, is meeting with Park & Rec to see if it can be moved back to Eastwood. So stay tuned here and on the RTC website for race location information. The Beacons for Babies 8K race date has been moved out a week to Friday, October 17. This is an evening event.

Hopefully you're all busy planning your race strategies for the Rochester Half Marathon and 5K which takes place Saturday, August 23. K.C. Reed does a fantastic job directing the race and I'm sure he's ordered especially wonderful weather for all of you to enjoy! Be there!

Thank you to everyone that has come through with a story for the September issue of RTC News. I so appreciate your contributions. The newsletter is anything but a solo effort.

Thank you to Chris O'Brien for the following cartoon. I only run 2, maybe 3 days per week, and I look forward to those days, my 'cross training' days as I'm more of a gym rat if hours/week were tallied. I'd rather be out on the roads, truth be told ...


Things to think about: Why is it that people say they 'slept like a baby' when babies wake up like every two hours? Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would eat? Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window? HA!!

Well, it's off to do a wedding and another rehearsal. I'll be eating both lunch and dinner at church, I guess. And the RAC in the early am for an 18-miler. Then another wedding. :) Then watch Deena run a marathon.

Cheers.

No comments: