Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dropping Dew Points!

Yes! The dew point is dropping. And the low tonight is forecast to be 57. Wonderful weather for running. and it feels great to have the windows open on the house again.

Another county fair update:


I found out on Sunday evening that my chocolate dessert got the Best of Show ribbon, which meant an additional $25 premium for a total winnings of $60. Whoo hoo! RTC member Jim Postier's mother-in-law is involved in the Winona County fair and I guess she came over here to scope out our fair and she remembered my dessert. She said it's a big deal to win as there are so many entries and competition. That made my day, in what's been a stressful week. More on that later. In the photo above, my chocolate curls look more like spiders. They dropped in the heat and humidity.

The cookie monsters received their monthly cookie drop on Monday (the blue ribbon peanut butter cookie recipe, dipped in Ghirardelli chocolate):

Pictured, left to right: Dan Edwards, Jim Benike, Gary Malat, Jim Postier, Ross Hamernik, Jim Martinson, Don Gabrielson.

Congratulations to Mary Chestolowski for winning the Red Wing Ramble Half Marathon on Saturday. She's a very talented runner and is in terrific shape.

Here's an online version of the Rochester Half Marathon ad that's appeared in the Rochester magazine the last few issues. (Thank you Mike Schmitt for the link.) Hope you're all planning to run either the half or the 5K (or volunteer!) It's the premier event put on by the RTC and is a terrific race.

There's a full-time assistant manager position open at Running Room. If you're interested, send your resume to Running Room, 711 S. Broadway, Rochester, MN 55904. Lots of new clothes in the store:

Pictured clockwise from upper left: Women's Under Armour, women's Nike, women's asics, men's Nike. I'm going to have to go and try on the pink Nike. I like the nice wide neck. I don't like tight necklines.

Paul Thomford reports that the Peanut Butter Chocolate Bread recipe from a week or two ago is a keeper. I agree. Thanks for the feedback, Paul!

Spotted arriving at Running Room, RTC member Sandra Dalquist. ;-)

The movie Spirit of the Marathon will be shown in Des Moines on October 17/18 during their marathon events. Tickets available on active.com.

The attorney that I work for has been in Europe and I had to handle a real estate sale this week by myself. Normally a sale is pretty straightforward, not nearly as involved as a purchase. Well, just about everything that could go wrong, or could be complicated, was, and sometimes many times over. It closed this afternoon and I couldn't be happier to have that behind me. I also chipped a tooth yesterday and had the pleasure of a mouth full of novocaine for the afternoon today. Well, I suppose I better get something going for dinner. My mouth still doesn't feel ready for food. That's a GOOD thing. ;-)

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." --William Faulkner

Enjoy the beautiful day.

No comments: