Sunday, October 19, 2008

where did that come from??

Where did what come from? you may ask ... Well, it was just a beautiful day and even though I ran 16.1 miles yesterday, I just had to go out for a couple of miles. I left about noon and decided to head for the new trail through the Cascade Lake area. Went down Fox Valley Drive and up Historic Hill on county 22. Didn't even feel like stopping running up that hill. Odd. I get down toward 2nd St SW and decide to look at my pace: 7:21. Whoo hoo! This is feeling really easy. Crossed 2nd St and headed toward the trail. Check again. 7:38. What's with this? Periodic checks along the trail: 7:31, 7:16, 7:26. One more peek about 1/4 mile from Highway 52: 7:07. OK. I'm not going to ruin this and I decide not to look again, but decide to continue running at my current effort to the trail under 52 which was right at 4 miles. Why is this happening, I'm thinking? Why, the day after a long run am I out of the blue feeling so good? Is it because I'm going short (6 miles)? Because I decided to wear 10-year old running clothes and maybe my legs are feeling 10 years younger (the first 'running' shorts I'd ever bought ... back at Target when it was on 37th St NW. ;-) I'm cleaning closets and have LOTS of clothes to give away. Some tops show a bit more midriff, or fit more snug than I'm comfortable with these days. Size M clothes anyone??!!)? Because I'm running unfettered--no water bottle, waist packs, camera, etc? I don't know, but at any rate, it was a good run, averaging 8 minute pace with some walk/traffic breaks after the 4 mile mark. I'm a happy camper ... (pace is in blue, elevation in green)


More good news ... Dave Morrill qualified for Boston 2010(?) at TCM and Dave Phillips qualified for Boston 2010 today in Detroit running an EXCELLENT 3:38 marathon!! Way to go, guys! You gotta run Boston ...

Theresa and Anne Backlund helped at Nite Lites/Beacons for Babies run on Friday evening at Soldier's Field. On the Y property right by the start/finish lines was the Cardboard Box City event. A drumline called Sheltered Reality was playing on the sound stage and providing very fun background music for the run as well! Theresa sent me these YouTube video links: Cotton-Eyed Joe and Vacation. These kids are great and worth a watch!! Very fun. I've been a long-time fan of drum lines. Thanks, Theresa.

Here's a cute little tale of a running/stair climb competition by some frogs passed along by Chris O'Brien. Cute.

A controversy at the Chicago marathon ... a runner from the non-elite starting field (the mass start) ran the fourth fastest time. What to do ... Thanks, Mike Schmitt, for the link.

RTC member Tish Torchia took at Gander at Eric's photos from Portugal (the last few in the album) and reports that she grew up in a house just out of view of one of the photos. Small world. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's Lisbon.

Off-Season Striders will be meeting at Panera South on Saturday at 7:30 AM for a run about town! Here's a few photos from yesterday at Dunn Brothers.



There will be a "beverage run" on Thursday, October 23 commencing at Buffalo Wild Wings at 5:45 pm. We will run on the Douglas Trail for a 4-6 mile run. Please join us!

There will be another trash pick-up extravaganza on Tuesday, October 28 at 5:30 pm--parking lot across Broadway from Snappy Stop. Please consider lending us a hand!!

We are making progess on our little home improvement project. My friend Chris Jorde's husband Dave laid the bricks for us yesterday. He did a great job. I finished up the interior painting this afternoon and primed the old, repaired Fypon horizontal trim piece. We will be getting new Fypon pilasters so I'll paint the whole shebang when the new pieces come in early this week. Larson's will be reinstalling the siding, Ted and Kirby will hang the Fypon and interior trim, then we'll finally be done!!! Yippee!! I'll be ready. On Friday, Ted and I made a trip out to the recycling center with a load of stuff: steel (Ted peeled the outsides off the old door), an old breadmaker, compact flourescent bulbs, paint, paper, used motor oil (that went to Greenway/Cenex), an old propane gas grill tank, ... It was great to get rid of that stuff. We then went to Sekapp's and I bought a bushel of winter squash (about 75 pounds for $20--a bargain!!).
Well, I better start thinking about dinner.

Go. Be. Do.

2 comments:

StevenCX said...

You're doping! ;-)

Ramblin' Renee said...

Ha! Only if it's paint fumes ...

Dave Phillips reports "Yes (a BQ), that was my goal and I will definitely do it. Great weather, flat course and I ran a good race (negative split I think) with lots of time to spare." We're proud of you!