Saturday, October 25, 2008

We've got spirit, yes we do, we've got spirit, how 'bout you?

Remember that cheer from your high school days? I do. Wouldn't want to go back to high school for anything, though. Especially these days ...

But we do have the Spirit Run! 1K, 5K and 10K took place this morning at Holy Spirit School on the top of a nice little hill in far NW Rochester. Gotta love a finish that's uphill and into the wind, not?? I was pretty sure I was still moving forward that last .1 mile, but I wasn't sure. Friday at 3 AM brought more stomach trouble, so I was just glad to be out there running. My morning oatmeal was still very noticeable in my tummy starting about 2 miles, but I finished. ;-)





Congratulations to Jim Hannon and Mary Chestolowski for their wins. And for all of you who ran today ... you're all winners!

I found out yesterday that I'll be a judge for the 2008 RRCA Journalism awards which will be kind of fun. I've never been on the other side of the ballot box, so to speak.

Good luck to Mark Carey who's running Ironman Florida next weekend, trying to break 9 hours. Peter Maves is also scheduled to compete. Wendy Nevala will be competing in Ironman (Ironwoman!) Arizona on 11/23.

Noticed at HyVee Crossroads yesterday that they now carry my favorite bread baking flour--King Arthur White Whole What. Thye've carried the regular whole wheat for a few years and I'm glad to see the White version on the shelves. It's 100% whole wheat, but is milder and lacks the bitterness that some whole wheat flours have.

My niece and nephew went to see Dora the Explorer at the mall today.

Here's a recipe I brought back from Norway in August 1977. Oatmeal Cookies. They're the cakey type, if you like that type of cookie.

Oatmeal Cookies
2 eggs
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. melted butter
2 Tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
I added a heavy pinch of salt, probably at least 1/4 tsp.
2 c. rolled oats
3 c. unbleached flour
1/4 c. hot water

Beat eggs. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Drop on greased or parchment covered cookie sheets. Flatten slightly. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes. Optional stir-ins: chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, M&Ms, ... endless possibilities!

“Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” --Dean Karnazes, from Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: