Saturday, September 13, 2008

Some days you have it ...

... and some days you don't.

Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones.
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.
Hello lamppost,
What cha knowing?
I've come to watch your flowers growing.
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in' doo-doo,
Feelin' groovy.

Got no deeds to do,
No promises to keep.
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me.
Life, I love you,
All is groovy.
--59th Street Bridge Song, Simon and Garfunkel Play it

It was groovy. For about 15 miles. Then the wheels fell off. I probably started off too fast, for one thing. And it was very humid. But whatever the reason, it was a challenging run for what seemed to be most of us. Our 3 mile loop out at Bear Creek turned out to be 5.35 miles, so the course was long. Pete gave us 'permission' to come in on 2nd St SW instead of the prescribed course. :-) Thank you, Peter!! Well, I got to talking and totally spaced out that early turn and continued on. At about 16.5 miles, I started cramping, told Roger to go ahead and it started getting pretty ugly. I ended up going the whole route for 22 miles (I had 21.9, Roger had 22.1 so we'll call it 22). Had I turned with the masses, I'd have had 20.5 which would have been much more pleasant. :-) Oh, WELLLLL!! I got the miles in even if they weren't pretty at the end.




Thank you Sharon Johnston for the Johnston Honey . My challenge this week, and I've chosen to accept it, is to come up with treats for next week's long run that utilize honey. :-)

TreadMan Duathlon update. John Dinusson rode the course this morning and reports: I just returned from biking North of Douglas ( County Road (3) ) which now has complete layer of asphalt and is in good shape. I talked with workmen who were laying down shoulders and they informed me that they plan to add another layer possibly this coming week. Very good news indeed. Thank you, John, for the update. We can still use volunteers and there is still time to register. It's for all abilities--give it a try! September 27. 5k run--32k bike--5k run. Solo or team. Want to run but need a cyclist? Contact me and I'll work on finding you a partner. It's been done in the past. ;-)

Congratulations to Trevor Distad for setting a 10 minute P.R. at the Square Lake Tri. That being the case, he signed up for Iron Man Wisconsin/Madison next year. Go Trevor!!

Well, that's it for today!

Thought for the day: "Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying ... 'I will try again tomorrow'." --Mary Ann Radmacher

2 comments:

StevenCX said...

I love that song! Just signed up for Treadman. It will be my first multisport event (if you don't count cyclocross as multisport that is!).

Ramblin' Renee said...

Groovy, cyclocross Steven from Minneapolis! I read your blog. You're not alone in having rubber legs on the second run. :-) Happy training. See you at the du!