Sunday, September 28, 2008

Northwoods Orchard

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I got a wonderful email on Friday morning from fellow runner Steve Eckdahl who enjoys reading the threads on the RTC website and following the goings-on on my blog. He invited the TreadMan participants to stop out at his orchard (Northwoods Orchard) just outside Douglas following the race for an apple of their choice. I thought that would be a great way to round out my afternoon and wind down a bit, so I went over after everything had been packed up in Douglas. What a wonderful piece of property, beautiful, delicious apples, family-friendly activities (wagon rides, corn mazes, petting zoo) and a very nice man who's responsible for all this bounty!


We talked running for a while (he shared memories of a 30K in Winona which Al Gilman also ran, and a marathon that used to be held in Winona during Steamboat Days in July--hot, hot, hot!). He then said I was welcome to walk through the orchard to sample the apples (they have pick-your-own). I sampled a Gala and a Cortland. They were both delicious and I finished every bite. I brought home a bag of Gala Chesnuts, a bag of Honeycrisp and some gourds. Honeygolds will be picked soon and they are one of my favorites. I'll be back for some of those.

It would be a great place to bring the family or just enjoy a lazy afternoon out in the county, while being very close to Rochester. Check it out!

1 comment:

Justin VanLaere said...

Northwoods is such a wonderful place to go in the fall. Excellent people there, and a lot of things to do.

We ended up with a lot of pictures from our last trip.