Monday, September 22, 2008

Rochester Rocks!!


Rochester cleaned up in the female results at the Fox Cities marathon yesterday!! RTC members Mary Chestolowski placed second overall with a 2:58 (her goal was to break 3:00), Marilee Hardyman was fourth or fifth with a 3:14 (her goal was to break 3:15--she has the fourth place award, but race results list her as fifth), Laura Lenz with a 3:56 (her goal was to break 4:00), and Kit Hawkins, who's been injured, finished with a 4:36 (on her birthday). Excellent running ladies. Pictured above are Laura, Kit, Marilee and Mary.


Also on the roads yesterday were some RTC IronGirls: (left to right) Chris Kujath, Sandra Dalquist (who took first in her age division on her birthday), and Chris O'Brien. They completed the IronGirl Duathlon in the cities (2 mile run, 22 hilly miles on the bike followed by another 2 mile run).

FYI: Pete Martin is due (ha!) to become a grandfather tomorrow, Tuesday. :D It's a girl.

Duluth native and 5000M and 10000M Olympian Kara Goucher, who will be running TC10, will be making her marathon debut at New York in November.

Happy first day of autumn, by the way. What beautiful weather. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it holds, as predicted, for the TreadMan Duathlon. Things are coming together nicely. Lots of people coming from the cities, which is great for Rochester. Thank you to everyone who has volunteered to help out. There are still open spots if you want to 'do the du'. You know the event is getting close when you lay awake at night composing 'to do' lists in your head and you feel like your head is going to spin off during the daylight hours. :D

My son Eric has posted some new photos of the ultra modern Arts & Sciences Center in Valencia, Spain near to the home where he is staying. He went to a pro European football (our soccer) game and had a blast.

Here's a funny tidbit: I was working at Running Room last week. A customer came in and asked if it was me picking up trash around the golf course the week or so before. I said that it probably was. She said she thought maybe I was doing it as part of a work release, or Sentenced to Serve, program. HA!! I said no, that the RTC was responsible for picking up trash in that location. I guess I just must have that convicted felon look ...

I see the Halloween candy is in the stores. My dilema is always: Do I buy stuff I like (think chocolate)? Or stuff I don't like (so I don't eat it)? I went with the "don't like" option--some sour, chewy stuff (Air Heads?) that's basically sugar, artificial color and flavoring, stabilizers, gums and lots of stuff I probably couldn't pronounce. Yum?? Not so much.

The Twins win Sunday. The Vikings win Sunday. The Gophers win Saturday. Mayo beats JM in football on Friday. It was a good sports weekend! Congrats to RTC member Joann Johnson for winning the 6" Subway sub during the Gopher game on KROC AM. ;-)

Thought for the day: "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." --David Viscott

May you all love, and be loved in return.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- that was a fast post! Thanks for the nice words. This was a great marathon! I highly recommend it- one small correction- Marilee was actually 4th. Good luck to everybody else on their fall marathons.

Anonymous said...

Okay- I am responding and arguing with myself- I could have sworn that Marilee was 4th but judging from the results, I guess it was 5th. Either way- IT'S AMAZING!!!!

Ramblin' Renee said...

Marilee said she has the fourth place award, but the results list her as fifth, so I will leave the post as 'fourth or fifth' and we should be covered!!