Monday, September 29, 2008

Medical Edge

I just had my interview with Vivien Williams from Mayo Clinic, who used to be the anchor on KTTC, for a "Medical Edge" segment. They also interviewed a neurologist (my neighbor, who got the ball rolling as they say) and will interview my neurosurgeon. I guess they'll use my MRI showing my big, beautiful, bulging disc as well. (Had to sign a release for that.) It will be available sometime in December on MayoClinic.org and Mayo Clinic on YouTube or somthing. Maybe one other place. Something about podcasts. Anyway, it was interesting. It was mostly about running before/after back surgery, stretching, etc. but she also asked about the surgery to remove half my pancreas. I don't think that will get used. The interview was done outside and then they had me run behind the minivan for about a half mile with the camera man sitting in the back.


Then, he wanted me cresting a hill so I got to run up Folwell Drive. Whew! Anyway, that's that!!

Congratulations to LaRee Etter who placed 3rd out of 492 finishers in the Women Run the Cities 5K yesterday with a time of 22:40!!

TCM Participants: I think the section we usually meet at in the dome before the marathon is 223. (Might be a few Rochesterites at 235 as well). It's right across from a women's restroom. ;-) It's fun to chit-chat while we try to relax, hydrate and do a little stretching. Mostly, we are just nervous energy, wanting to get the "show on the road"!

Yesterday was my last 10-miler before TCM next weekend. It was drizzly and dreary when I left at 11:30 or so and I decided to go out in the country. County 22 (West Circle Dr) to County 34 (2nd St SW), up THE HILL to County 104, south to Salem Road and home. Very nice, albeit hilly, course. One I like to run a few times a year.




Thought for the day: "Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows." --Helen Keller

Go. Be. Do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey- I just wanted to let all the TCM runners know that "Spirit of the Marathon" is showing Sat., Oct. 3 at the Riverview Theater in south Mpls. Might be a fun thing to do the night before. http://www.riverviewtheater.com/specialscreening

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post about your Medical Edge experience, and for sharing your Mayo Clinic patient care experience with our TV viewers (and others who will see it on YouTube, for instance.) It's really helpful to others when people like you share stories, so people with similar conditions can learn about treatments that are available.

Ramblin' Renee said...

I'm happy to help. It was an honor to be asked. I received wonderful care at Mayo.