Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wow, it's a Wonderful Wednesday

Beautiful, beautiful day. It was a great morning for a run. Ran with Bruce, Lisa, Mark at 5:15 AM. I am noticing that we're losing daylight now in the early mornings. Much more pleasant than it has been the last few weeks. No sightings until I was about 2 miles from home I spotted Don Gabrielson and Jeff Judd on 9th St SE in front of Kmart heading out on their run. Then on Pill Hill I ran into (not literally, of course!) ...

Mary Chestolowski and Marilee Hardyman. They were doing hill repeats (ohmygosh ... 9 and 8 repeats, respectively) on lovely 9th Ave SW. I'm sure some of you know that hill. They were ready to start their last repeat when I came walking toward them. They asked me if I wanted to do one repeat with them. Sure. Why not. I'm tired, but what the heck. I had a little head start (they started down by a driveway and I just plodded up from the last corner) and they still made it to the top before me. They're in excellent shape. It was fun to have a sighting and run for a bit with them.

For those interested in the Dean Karnazes 50 marathons in 50 days movie, there is now a book scheduled for publication on 8/16 on the same subject.

Tune into the Aflac Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Triathlon on NBC this Saturday, July 26, from 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. CST. For a sneak peak of Saturday's broadcast, the first-ever women's-only triathlon to be showcased on NBC, visit YouTube. The show was taped on location on April 12, 2008. Thank you Chris O'Brien for the heads up!

There are now online (and hard copy) roughly 2-mile walking routes mapped out for areas near downtown. So if you're out and about on your lunch hour either walking (or running!) and want to try a new route, check it out!

Let's send some positive vibes to Chris Koch and Rob Mitchell on Saturday as they embark on their first 50-miler at Voyageur trail. I for one look forward to hearing about Chris and Rob's Excellent Adventure! And let's hope there are no "heels over head", "let's get one with a tree" acrobatics during this one.

I submitted a recipe to the Post-Bulletin a couple of weeks ago in answer to a request for an ice cream dessert recipe. It appeared in last night's paper. It's really quite tasty, and quite easy, but not exactly health food. If you cut it up in enough pieces and don't eat it but a couple times a year ... all things in moderation they say.

I sent for a copy of the new RRCA Runner's Etiquette: Rules of the Road and Races brochure. Here's a link to a .pdf version of the brochure. Good rules to follow when running, whether training or running in an organized event. They're available for bulk purchase.

Here's a photo from Monday morning, a glimpse of what us early morning types get to experience now and again:

Well, that's all I know for today. Here's another quote from "The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life" (thank you, Lionel Cheng for lending it to me ... I'm now reading his book about Fred Lebow and the New York City Marathon "Anything for a T-shirt"):

"First, we try to fun faster. Then we try to run harder. Then we learn to accept ourselves and our limitations, and at last, we can appreciate the true joy and meaning of running."

Moving at the speed of life ...

1:29 PM update--THE Quote of the day after I told Eric (oldest son) if he wanted a water bottle for warm runs, I'd be happy to give him one: "Look at me. I'm half Kenyan." Spoken after returning from a 7.25 mile run. My reply ... which half??? HA!

1 comment:

Mike said...

7.25 at noon = all Kenyan!