Saturday, July 19, 2008

Rochester Women's Race



Well done, Jeanne Block! She sure knows how to put on a race. It's a great atmosphere and sure wouldn't be the same without her touch. She started directing the race in 1984 and has done it ever since (that's 25 years!). And she's a skier at heart! She must make 100+ muffins and about as many Cinnamon Twists (see recipe below) for after the race, makes 27 awards (photo in slideshow), always has a very nice premium (tanks with shelf bras this year--photo in slideshow), she has ice cold wash cloths for us at the finish line, she gets door prizes from The Mouse, our friend Mary makes pies to give away, ... She's a great director, and a great friend. Thank you, Jeanne! Mary Chestolowski was the first finisher out of 78 registered, in 24:55. Way to run, Mary! (p.s. Dan Strain rode by on his bike. I told him I was bushed. He said that you're supposed to be bushed after a 5K. I told him that was the problem ... it was 4 miles and I was bushed after 5K!!)

Just as I predicted, I'm not exactly pleased with my time. I for sure thought I'd go under 30:00 (7:30 pace). I hung on for about 2.5 miles, but crashed mile 4 and ran a 30:08. Just was a tough day and I didn't have anything left and just couldn't push myself. It felt really hot and humid. Oh, well. There's always next year ;-) or another race (It's looking like it'll be Douglas Trail 11-mile next week, not the 15K Elvelopet in Decorah). I wore my new yellow skirt and top from REI outlet today (photo in slideshow). There are more left, gals! And I, who never wins anything, won a door prize today. I was shocked!! A glass cylinder with a light in it. Very cool! (Photo in the slideshow.)

Simply Super Crescent Cinnamon Rolls
2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls
2/3 c. finely chopped nuts (optional)
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 4. cinnamon
1/4 c. softened margarine
(Renee's comment: I find this is enough filling for 2 batches when I make them.)
Combine all filling ingredients. Preheat oven to 375. Separate the 2 cans of crescent roll dough into 4 rectangles each. Press perforations to seal. Spread filling mixture on 4 of the rectangles. To with remaining 4 rectangles. Cut each rectangle "sandwich" into 6 strips lengthwise. Twist each strip and form each one into a coil. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and drizzle glaze over warm rolls. Glaze: 1+ c. powdered sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp. softened margarine, 1-2 Tbsp. milk, 1/4 tsp. vanilla.

The latest RRCA Footnotes is available online. Lots of articles and race recaps.

The Running Room catalog is now online for your shopping pleasure!

Looking for Runners in a University of Minnesota Study on Magnetic Resonance Imaging The University of Minnesota is currently looking for volunteers to refine a magnetic resonance imaging technique to measure fat in the leg. They are interested in subjects ages 18-45 who are participating in a regular running program and are otherwise in good health. The study will involve one outpatient visit to the University of Minnesota. This will involve scanning one leg using magnetic resonance imaging for approximately 1.5 hours. The total visit time will be approximately 2 hours. Compensation will be provided. If interested, please email endores@umn.edu. Alas, I'm too old ...

Runners running the following 2008 marathons are being asked to participate in a study by the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business (and will be eligible for prizes--iPod, Garmin 305, Bose SoundDock system--Tom Woo won an iPod last year!): Boston, Grandma's, LA, Rock 'N' Roll, San Francisco, Chicago, Twin Cities and Marine Corps. Involves 3 surveys. Register here.

New 3.5 hour DVD available on Pre: Fire on the Track: The Steve Prefontaine Story. Website includes a trailer.

Thank you to those who supported RTC member Joann Johnson and the MS Tram. She will be presenting them with $2000 as she begins her ride. Follow their progress online at MS Tram. If you've been to the All Comers' track meets, I'm sure you've seen Joann and Dennis there.

I got an Athleta catalog in the mail the other day. Some really cute things in there. Some even come in tall sizes. ;-) Cute activewear dresses and skirts.

I decided to try again with chocolate chip cookies at the Olmsted county fair. Also registered for peanut butter cookies and the HyVee chocolate dessert contest. The cookies each have a first place premium of $1.00. The dessert, $35, $30 or $25 for first, second and third respectively. I have to have it all baked and delivered on the same day and that is the clincher. I'll just have to see what I get done and what turns out successfully. They want you to sign up ahead of time even if you don't end up entering anything. Gee, that's just how a race director feels!!

This is how I felt today, pushing all the way, even though it was slow: "I'd rather run a gutsy race, pushing all the way and lose, than run a conservative race only for a win." --Alberto Salazaar

Long run tomorrow am. Look for photos. Of course...what else???!!

Ramblin', scramblin' Renee, signing off. 10-4, over and out.

No comments: