Saturday, May 10, 2008


Since I'm posting again before Sunday, I guess I have another chance to wish a Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms! We don't have any plans. It's too busy at the restaurants, so I don't like to go out to eat on Mother's Day. I did buy myself a cake at Sam's Club the other day. I will share it with my family, however. ;-) I also will be making Shaun Palmer his cookies of the month, which will also be monster cookies. He's always so very appreciative when he gets his cookie delivery for the month.

Jessica Schmitt and (s0n) Benjamin Schmitt were going to do a water stop for the marathon training class. Jessica is training for her first half marathon (Green Bay). She ran her first 9.3 miles at Spring Classic. I'm very proud of her. ;-) YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Chris Koch, new RTC member, and TriRochester co-leader, is running his first marathon today. We got an update from his fiance Tabitha via cell phone during the Mother's 5K this morning. He had just passed the 19.5 mile mark. Hope all goes well for him. There's nothing like your first marathon. If the weather was anything like it was here this morning, it should have been perfect weather (Brookings, SD).

The TriRochester guys did a terrific job on their first event--Mother's 5K. It was very low key, but well done and lots of fun to help at. I wished I was running it! I ran out to Eastwood and then ran home when I was done volunteering (10 miles) to get my run in. I was overdressed, but had to have enough warm clothes to also keep warm while volunteering. I'm still having trouble with accessing Photobucket, but Charter still is having problems in our area (can't send email), so that may be part of the problem. I'll post a few photos here and hope to get a slideshow going soon.



Oscar and Olivia are 7-year old twins and they both ran the 5K. Oscar's time was 31-something. I think they're just precious and I cheered wildly for them out on the course. When I yelled "Girls rule" to Olivia out on the course, she burst into a big smile and sped up a bit. I can't tell you how these two little kids brightened my day. Cute or what???
At 9 bells, they were off to tackle the Eastwood (golf course) course. Andrew Shulha (right, orange shoes) won in just over 18 minutes.
Andrew leads them into the woods ... and toward THE hill.

Oscar just nipped (new RTC member) Cathy Torgerson at the finish. Sweet. Cathy finished as second master's. Way to go, Cathy!


Olivia and her dad are happy to arrive at the finish line. Olivia didn't even run in running shoes--they were pink KEEN-type shoes.

Chris O'Brien is all smiles as she finishes up her race. Nice (Spring Classic) shirt! There were a couple of them out on the course. They're terrific.

From an email from Alexander Tsatsoulis of the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation : We are recruiting participants (and hunting for a Rochester coach!) for the Rock ‘N’ Roll San Antonio Half Marathon on November 16th, 2008. We do cover the travel costs and hotel for the coach, who travels with the team to San Antonio. We have some basic training plans, which the coach can adjust based on his/her preferences, or just create their own plan for people to follow. We will have runners of all different skill levels, so our run coach in the Twin Cities has three basic plans for people to follow along with based on where they are – depending on how many participants we recruit in Rochester the coach can figure out how they want to set up trainings. Finally, there is reimbursement for the coach, based on how many participants finish the program (fundraise and run the half marathon).

My left little toe STILL looks just lovely after the blood blistering at Boston on April 21. Among so many other things that fell apart that day, this was relatively minor but is the most obvious and visible outward reminder of a marathon to forget.

Nine friends and I are going to the Power of the Purse luncheon on June 10 and purchased a table for 10. Individual tickest are also available. Guest speaker is Jeannette Wells, author of The Glass Castle, a terrific read. I look forward to it.

This is my theme song for this week:

Don't give up
It's just the weight of the world
When your heart's heavy
I...I will lift it for you

Don't give up
Because you want to be heard
If silence keeps you
I...I will break it for you

Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up
Because you are loved

Don't give up
It's just the hurt that you hide
When you're lost inside
I...I will be there to find you

Don't give up
Because you want to burn bright
If darkness blinds you
I...I will shine to guide you

Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don't give up
Because you are loved.

"You Are Loved (Don't Give Up)"--Josh Groban

Thank you to my husband, Ted, for being such a good listener. ;-)

Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm blushing! ;-)

~Jessica