Wednesday, May 7, 2008

More This 'n That

Another May birthday to report: Pete Martin will be aging by one year this month as well. Give him grief. :-) Just a reminder ... if you haven't had to renew your membership yet this year, we don't have your birthday in our database yet.

Pictured in the Rochester Women magazine ad this month, just out on the newsstand (free): Pete Martin, Julie Yost, Tom Williamson, Sandra Prescher, myself.

Welcome new RTC members: Peg Dokken, Susan Hanson, Tony Poirier, Marc Schaub, Cathy Torgerson, Roxanne Bartsch/David Zimmerman. We're glad you've joined us!

Paula and I are going to score the Mother's 5K (cross country) on Saturday. Hope to see lots of you out there!

Running Room staff will be getting a Product Knowledge session on the new Garmin 405 system the end of next week. I'm interested to hear about it and see it.

Results from my Fetzer 20K post-race survey:
95% indicated the event was a positive experience
89% enjoyed the equalizer format
68% think the money should be divided between first male and female
59% favor keeping long-sleeved cotton tee (vs. short-sleeved technical shirt)
84% will definitely consider running it in the future (16% maybe, 0% no)

After thinking MORE about it, I'm toying with the idea of $150 to first overall winner, $150 to first master's finisher, $100 to each other gender first finisher both overall and masters. Hope that makes sense. But there's still plenty of time to change my mind.

They were to have shown Spirit of the Marathon (the movie) at Fountain Square (outdoors) in Cincinnati, but it got rained out. There are still screenings here and there in case you happen to be at one of those venues. There was a silent auction at the RRCA convention. There were two Spirit ... movie posters signed by Deena Kastor. I put in a bid (about $50 if I remember right) but the next time I checked the bidding was up around $150. Don't know what they finally sold for. During the live auction, someone bought a Peyton Manning signed jersey for either $400 or $500.
Today was a running day ... yippee!! So I set out about 6:00 and headed out toward West Circle Drive. First spotting: Amos (RTC member) and Barbara (cooking club, book club) Kermisch, on their way to the gym or to work at Mayo. I'd no sooner turned the corner when I spotted another RTC member ... Ed Creagan!

I headed north on West Circle Drive. There's a little bit of new paved path on the NE corner of 2nd St SW/West Circle Drive, connecting to the neighborhood back there.

On the west side of the bike path, there were a couple of tulips blooming in the midst of what looked to be 95% dandelions, 4% thistles (big as a dinner plate) and .5% tulips, .5% grass. ;-)


As I got up by highway 14 west, I was greeted by the trill of the dreaded red-winged blackbirds. Whenever I hear them I have a tendency to hunch my back and wave my hands over my head ...

I then continued west toward Valley High Drive. The cows were just laying there, watching the world go by.

Went over 52, down Assissi Drive, over to Broadway, on the south side of the lake, under 7th St to the bike path south to the 0.0 trail marker, over the footbridge to the Civic Center, south to 6th St SW, and west to home. About 10.7 miles. Good enough!

Thought for the day: Friendship is a shelter from life's rainy days.




No comments: