Monday, March 10, 2008

Let It Shine!!

Let's melt that snow!! The sun is high enough now that even if it's below freezing, we can have some melting take place. There's lots of snow to be melted off that Mayowood bike path by April 12, with or (hopefully) without human intervention.

Well, my left hip flexor was pretty sore yesterday after Saturday's run. Boy, training for Boston this year is like walking a tightrope ... I'm always feeling like I'm just on the edge of injury. ;-(

Stopped in Running Room today. LOTS of new clothes for spring/summer! Things from saucony and asics (with UPF--sun protection), Nike (cute new Tempo Track shorts--my personal favorite--black with fuschia trim and matching tops, black/fuschia capris), Mizuno (skort and capris with a fun accent/hem). Nice bright colors. Check it out! Also, the new Des Moines store opens on Wednesday.

Time to register for the Fetzer! Non-Rochester/non-RTC registrants comprise 89% of the entries! Price goes up $5 on 3/28. If you register by 3/28, you get your name on your bib. Also, please consider volunteering. I'm hoping to get a slide show of last year's photos posted on the Fetzer website in the near future.

There are still openings for the Broadway Plaza Cabin Fever Stair Climb on Saturday. Lin is going to try to design a long run course that takes us by the building. So I think I am going to park downtown, run to the RAC, run down to the stair climb and then possibly run the St. Patrick's Day 5K or 10K at Running Room. Anyone care to join me? Cookies if you do! BTW. There will be a penhouse suite open at the top of the stair climb. Come see what Rochester looks like from it's highest building!

There's a new FAQ page on the RTC website. Maybe you can learn something you didn't already know about the club. Additions are welcome. Just email me.

Featured in March RunMinnesota, RTC's Steve DeBoer, streak runner. Steve is number 5 on the US streak running list with a daily running streak (at least 1 mile) of more than 36 years. My Fetzer ad is on page 5. Also, on page 9, they ran my Quarry Hill photo featuring K.C. Reed, Jim Postier and Jim Benike again on an article for RTC's Larry Pederson's Upper Midwest Trail Run Series.

Here's a link to a new asics TV commercial, yet to be aired. Neat. Creative. Might make you a little dizzy. ;-)

Heard on the radio news at 1:00: Haille Gebreselassie won't be running the marathon in Beijing due to concerns about air quality as he's an asthmatic. He will still run the 10,000M however.

USATF has lowered the men's Olympic qualifying time for the 2012 Olympic marathon to 2:19 to make a more manageable field for the trials. (From RunMinnesota December '07 minutes)

Let's meet LeeAnn Shafer, Austin resident and RTC member:
Family? – Married, 26 year old daughter
Hobbies? – Running (my favorite running partner – my yellow lab named Bonnie – I can’t keep up with her), yoga, reading, camping
Languages you speak? – just English
How did you get started in running? – volunteered at the Rock –n- Roll Marathon in San Diego when my husband ran it; after seeing how excited, proud, thrilled those runners were to be there, I had to try it. That was about 7 years ago.
Miles per week on average? 21-25, with lots of cross-training
Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? A five mile loop which I repeat as needed, it takes me out into the country past my parents’ farm where I can run in take care of necessities (water for me and Bonnie, bathroom break, etc!)
How often do you run it? Three times per week, except in the middle of the winter as it’s too dark out there (no street lights).Favorite carbo loading food? I don’t really have one, although I love mashed potatoes and gravy….
Favorite indulgence food? That would have to be Funyons (you know – the onion flavored salty snack)
Next race? Not sure but I’m training for the Med-City Marathon.
Running goals? To complete the Med-City Marathon in less than four hours.
Running dream? I’ll have to leave this blank for now…

Thought for the day: Some of us have great runways already built for us. If you have one, take OFF! But if you don't have one, realize it is your responsibility to grab a shovel and build one for yourself and for those who will follow after you. -Amelia Earhart

2 comments:

Mike said...

http://www.uppermidwesttrailrunners.com/

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.