Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy Pi Day!

Pi, as in 3.14 (if you're a numbers nerd/math and computer science major like myself) or Happy Pie Day if you a gastronome!! (Actually, National Pie Day has come and gone...) Thanks Brian Erwin for sharing!

I'm running Boston in April!
Ding dong! The race is drawing nigh.
I am frust'rated!
Nothin' but injured!
Just get me to the starting line!
--My own composition, to the tune of Get Me to the Church on Time from My Fair Lady ;-)

Tuesday, I spent the afternoon and evening padding around the house in my slippers. By late evening there's a sharp pain on the lateral side of my left foot. What up with THAT for heavens sake?? It's definitely improved, but this is getting really old. Every time I run, a day or two later something ELSE hurts. My goal was originally to finish Boston, now it's to start Boston. ;-(

So ... lots going on in the Rochester running community. Things are ramping up for the start of another racing season. Kicking off the season is the Broadway Plaza Cabin Fever Stair Climb. Several of us are going to start out at the RAC at 7:15, run down to the stair climb then either continue on with the marathon training run or join the Running Room 10K at 9:00. So bring a 5-spot or two (both events are only $5 each and you get an embroidered fleece toque (hat) at Running Room and a photo from the stair climb) and join us! I think it will be fun to mix it up a bit. Then we'll run back to the RAC. Mileage estimate is somewhere in the vicinity of 15, plus or minus a little ...

There are also some volunteer opportunities coming up, representing RTC at some community events: 1) Pathway to Prevention Health Fair on 3/29. We still need a volunteer from 1-3 pm. Thank you to Chris O'Brien, Chris Kujath and John Shonyo for filling the other time slots. Contact Dave Sletten if you can help out. 2) Healthy Kids Day at the Rochester Family Y on 4/12 (note: this is during the Fetzer) from 9:30 to noon. This is a great chance for the RTC to promote our events, especially those geared toward youth (Youth Grand Prix, Med-City Kids' Classic, All Comers'). If you could help man the table for any or all of this time, please contact Dave Sletten.

Fetzer update: The 2-mile will also be chip-timed. And I'm still in need of runners and volunteers! To register: Click here. To volunter: Click here. I need help at the water stops and course marshals. I think we have registration and bag stuffing covered. Thank you to those have volunteered. Embroidered skull caps (and cookies, of course) shall be your reward.

Another blast from the RTC past: Steve Graepel! Steve and Kelly moved from Rochester to Idaho several years ago. Here's an update from Steve, along with a photo of daughter Chloe, both posted with permission from Steve. It was good to hear from him. Steve and Kelly are both very talented runners, Steve excelling at ultra distances. Steve co-directed the Aviary Trail run at Oxbow along with Jim Postier for a couple of years, both having previously been medical illustrators at Mayo.

Hi Renee,

We are doing well in Boise. Kelly works remotely part-time for Mayo from an office in our home. We have a nanny come twice a week and Kelly’s mother comes over once a week to help with Chloe. It’s ideal for our situation.

I still work as a visual content manager for Healthwise, coordinating medical images with written content. It’s a good gig with lots of opportunity.

Ella (our dog) is getting older and has a rough time in the heat. She runs once in a while in the winter, but with sporadic enthusiasm. She’s a little neurotic.

I’ve only recently returned to running, but with much less intensity. I run 3, sometimes 4-days a week: One tempo, one 8-10 mile, and one long run. A friend proposed we revisit the idea to run the 93-mile Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier this summer. (My note: Steve has done this before. Wow.) In spite of my warnings, I don’t think he fully understands what he’s proposed…he just sent me a note sharing that after a month off, he finally got out for a 30-minute run. So we’ll see how this proposed junket goes…

But Boise has amazing accessibility to fuel our weekends. We can leave the house or the office and be on the trails in 5-minutes. And the trails go on for miles. In the summer, you could probably catch trails from Boise all the way to the Canadian border. Needless to say, it’s a Mecca for mtn. bikers and runners. It’s generally a very active town, and we have 4 distinct seasons to keep one busy with all kinds of sport. A 2-hour drive will bring you to mouth world-class whitewater, the base of 12,000’ peaks, first class trout streams, or in our case, the in-laws. So we are very happy to be in Idaho.

Congratulations on your Newsletter! Please say ‘hi’ to all.

Steve, Kelly and Chloe
Congratulations to Rochester runners Carlo Biondolillo and Paola Sandroni (above), both of whom finished in the top 25 and took 2nd in their age groups in the Antarctica Marathon on March 5. Results here. I'm glad that the bone-chilling brutal winter we've endured served them well!

Holly Ebel came and interviewed me for a running/cookie article for the P-B yesterday. I guess it will be out 3/26. They're coming for a photograph on Monday. I inquired as to whether they wanted the photo in my kitchen (in which case, I'd want it tidy!) but it was suggested that I might be in running clothes, outside, running with a sheet of cookies, possibly wearing my marathon finishers medals. We'll see how this goes. Cookies have a tendency to slip around a cookie sheet. Perhaps I'll have to secure them to the cookie sheet with frosting or something. I'd hate to waste 12 good cookies by gluing them on ...

Minnesota native Scott Jurek was honored as the 2007 Ultrarunning's Male Runner of the Year. Thanks to Jim Benike for passing that along. Jim also reports that Scott is 'Minnesota nice. A very class guy.' As is Jim, by the way. ;-)

Let's meet RTC board member, Lace Up for Breast Cancer co-organizer, and Spring Classic volunteer coordinator and all around nice person Laura Lenz:



Family? Husband, Todd, and 2 children. Sam is 9 and Abby is 5.

Hobbies? I love to canoe, hike, cook, read, and travel.

Languages you speak? English and Spanish

How did you get started in running? I have been running since junior high. I think I probably first started because I wasn't very good at things like basketball and softball- running seemed like something I could do. I stayed with it because my best friends were on the cross-country and track teams.

Miles per week on average? About 30 right now but starting to do more.

Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? Our little morning group meets at the Healthy Living Center and runs by Soldier's Field and over toward Silver Lake. John Shonyo has us all trained to do all these crazy corners to make it the right distance.

How often do you run it? Usually 3 times a week with this group.

Favorite carbo loading food? Any kind of pasta.

Favorite indulgence food? Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate...

Next race? the Fetzer 20K- I'm quite sure Todd (Rowekamp--Laura's husband)will easily pass me in this equalizer race, but we'll see...

Running goals? I still feel like I have a marathon PR in me if I can get in really good shape. But, more broadly, I've just been enjoying being a part of the running community in Rochester since we moved here. I want to keep helping out in some races and contributing how I can to the RTC.

Running dream? I am hoping that my sister, Angie Haugen, and I can qualify for Boston at the same time so we can run it together!

(Below: Abby, Todd and Sam Rowekamp, Laura's family)

Thought for the day: If you have accomplished all that you planned for your life, you have not planned enough!

No comments: