Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's Taper Time!

RTC website is still down. I still haven't heard why or know when it will be up. Sorry.

I got that last 21-miler in yesterday, so now it's taper time. I really enjoy the long runs, so tapering isn't always fun or easy for me. I wish I had the time to run really long every week, and then not get injured. But it doesn't work that way for me, so taper it is. Yesterday turned out to be a fun run. I felt like I was here, there and everywhere! As a result, time got away from me and I barely made it to the church on time (for a wedding I was coordinating). I pulled in the church parking lot at 11:01.

They were scheduled for 15 and I wanted 20 but needed to start early. So I started from home and ran up to the RAC (4 miles). We went east, crossed 52, went north on 18th Ave to 48th St and went east and around Watson soccer fields where we had our first water stop. Then it was down West River Road and across the bridge behind the Rec Center where Pete Martin was staffing water stop #2. Then up Viola Road (gotta love that hill! Good practice for Heartbreak Hill) and through Quarry Hill where there was still ice on the path and over to Silver Lake for water stop #3. Then south to Center St. where the rest went west and I kept going south.




There were two 5Ks going on, both centered at/near the Civic Center. Get Your Rear in Gear went around the lake from what I could tell and Race for Research (Mayo physical therapy) went downtown and looped around 'the cannons' from the marks that I saw. I met up with RTC member Jim Hebl who had run the Get Your Rear in Gear with a couple of his children. Chris O'Brien set a 5k PR in the race. Way to go, Chris!

Then I went over to see how Ruth and crew were doing with the Race for Research. Just as I was crossing the path, the lead biker (Mark Carey) was coming in and I (unknowingly) was in his way. Shortly thereafter, Rob Mitchell came screamin' down the path for a 15:20 (or thereabouts) win, followed by Andy, Chris Koch, Chris Chen. They ran really well. Way to go, guys! It's great to see runners in shorts again, huh??





Then I decided to head over to the Cancer Health Fair at the Civic Center, where Chris Kujath, Chris O'Brien and John Shonyo were taking shifts at a table for the RTC. The first familiar face I encountered was RTC member and Stay Out of the Sun race director Tim Burriss who was manning a table for his cause. Then I saw Chris O'Brien on the phone and then Jessica and Mike Schmitt. Next, saw Jim Mason and Matt Schraeder who had a table for the Chester Woods races. They'd just intended to drop off some info but got asked if they wanted their own table, so there they were! Talking to Jim and Matt--winner of the Get Your Rear in Gear 5K, RTC member Jason Sinnwell, pictured in the slideshow coming across the finish line. (Thank you Chris O'Brien for providing those links.) Across the way from Matt and Jim was the RTC table and Chris Kujath. Saw Peg Arnold, but she was in a hurry and didn't want her picture taken.



On the way through Soldier's Field on the way home I met up with RTC member, fellow runner, and fellow Cooking Light cooking club member Pam King, out with her furry friends for a couple of miles.


By the end of my day I was soooooo tired.

Here's a link to photos from Carlo Biondolillo and the trip to the Antarctic Marathon. Pictured are Carlo, his wife Rosa (yellow/orange jacket) and Paola Sandroni. There will be an article in the May RTC News about their experience. Can't wait to read it. These photos are fantastic.

New at Boston this year, technical shirts. Sized for both men and women, which is nice. When sizing isn't gender-specific, I never know what size to get. TCM technical? Small. TCM non-technical? Med. Tulsa technical? XS. They're even providing changing rooms so you can be assured it fits. Nice.

Here's a link passed along by Mike Schmitt--lots of data and research on qualifying for marathons--men vs. women, different courses, etc.

159 registered for the Fetzer races thus far.

Let's meet Kristi Quade-Wiedrich:

Family? I have been married to my husband Robb going on three years. This past year I got him into running a bit. He ran a few road races and finished his fall running season with his first TC10 mile run.

Hobbies? I have coached the Century girls cross country team since the fall of '97. It has been a very rewarding experience for me. My husband and I love to travel and enjoy just about any outdoor activity.

How did you get started in running? I remember always liking running. Races at recess time were one of my favorite elementary activities. Throughout junior high and high school I ran on the track team as a short sprinter. My track coach encouraged me to try cross country to help me stay in shape for track. I still didn't really like the longer distance running until after college when I started running more 5Ks and 10Ks.

Miles per week on average? When I'm not injured, 15-20 miles per week on average. The TC10 mile is my "marathon" and when I'm training for that I put in a few more miles per week. I currently have been dealing with a nagging plantar fasciitis all winter and I am dying to get back into running! Wish I could find the cure for that injury. One really misses running when there's one part of your body not allowing you to do so.

Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? My favorite running routes are the many bike paths throughout Rochester, especially those around the Silver Lake area and north towards the NW part of Rochester.

How often do you run it? Three to four times a week when I'm in the midst of my running season. I tend to take the winter months off and do more cross training then.

Favorite carbo loading food? Pasta of all sorts. We have been trying a lot of whole grain or whole wheat pastas to try getting our pasta dishes a bit healthier.

Favorite indulgence food? Anything chocolate, red wine.

Next race? Hopefully a 5K sometime before summer if I can get my feet back into running shape. I have often run the Med City relays with friends and that is also a possibility.

Running goals/dream? I want to keep on running no matter how slow I get . I know I don't have the patience to train for marathons and I want to preserve my knees as long as I can so I will stick to the shorter running events. I feel that running is an excellent source of exercise. My hopes would be to continue running into my older years.

I've gotten all the way through the alphabet, posing these questions to RTC members. Response rate is probably 25%. Don't know if I should start over at 'A' with a new set of questions or what. If you have an opinion, please let me know!



Oldest son Eric just popped in!! He just finished a road trip to Georgia with his Ultimate Frisbee team at Luther. He's off to the Twins opener tomorrow evening. It's nice to have him home. He'd like 'fresh, warm' bread and (no tomatoes in it) soup for supper. I'll see what I can conjure up without going to the store.


Until next time.


1 comment:

roentgen said...

Hey Renee, no wonder I saw you running along 19th street while I was driving to the RAC on Saturday morning. It was a very beautiful day for a run, and I just savored the clear blue skies and bright sunshine :)