Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Whoa!!

Last week, it felt like November. Today? July. Hot, humid and windy. And it made for a very sticky run this evening through the Soldier's Field neighborhood. There was a gathering of runners/walkers/grillers at 5:30. Most of us are tapering for Wobegon so we just ran the 5K course through the residential area. That was plenty. Not at all ready for running when the temp is 94 (downtown, according to the radio at 5:05 pm with 70 degree dewpoint). But it's supposed to cool down for the weekend and marathon morning. Good thing. I've got my GU and I guess I'm ready. If I'm not, it's too late to do anything about it. I have no idea what to expect for Saturday. I'll just try my best and hope for a result that I'm satisfied with.

Tomorrow morning, Mary Chestolowski and I are going to be the guest speakers at the Ben Franklin elementary school running club. Laura Lenz is one of the leaders and she asked us to come and talk about what running means to us, to try to motivate them, etc. I'd done this last year for Kate Holcomb and the Jefferson school running club (which has about 175 kids running, I think Kristin said ... fantastic!). It's a lot of fun.

Fetzer re-ordered shirts are in today. I'll try to get them mailed out by early next week. Thank you for your patience.

Our book club book is Little Bee for this month. There were a few sentences that meant something to me: "... a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived." I'd never thought about it that way before. I've got a 9" scar down the middle of my abdomen and I'm always self-conscious about it. Now with these temps there are days when I'd rather run in just a sports bra and shorts. After reading that, I feel better about it being on display.

Matt went to hear the Dalai Lama speak at the U of M on Sunday. I'm going to meet him for supper. I'm anxious to hear what he had to say about it. Matt went for a bike ride today. Here's what his bike computer said the temp was on the pavement:


I'm watching the Twins on TV. It's raining hard and they just announced that there are tornado warnings in Hennepin county. Not surprising given the heat.

Ciao.

No comments: