Monday, May 2, 2011

Momentous

What a 24 hours its been. More on that at the end of this post.

Shaun Palmer is also running the NYC marathon.  Hoo rah!! So it's O'Leary, Woo, Schmitt, Palmer, Maves (I think), Saxman, and my two friends Jodi and Yvonne. Major league road trip.

Speaking of major league ... what is with the Twins? They are continuing down the road named Self Destruction ...

I started my day with a cold, windy 10.01 mile run and I ran the hills. Quite a few of them. I headed out the door with my River Runners coat on, over a short-sleeved shirt, but when I felt the wind chill I headed back in for a fleece jacket. Also wore a headband, gloves, tights. Brrrr. Wind chill in the 20's ... in May? Enough already. Let's bring on a little sunshine, temps at least 50, and calm winds. Please ... I've had a sore toe for a couple of days. I've got another black toenail and it feels like that toe is rubbing on my shoe, so it's kind of tender. Oh well. Could be a lot worse.

I picked up our May book club book at the library yesterday. It's called Little Bee. I started reading it this afternoon while getting the oil changed. It's different. I'll see what I think when I'm farther into it.

I put a bunch of stuff on Craigslist today. I've got a free couch and already have a guy interested in my two workbenches (also free) and a bench top table saw. I've also got a bunch of cake and cookie pans out there.




It's been a momentous 24-hours in the course of world history. I can't imagine how those Navy Seals felt going on that mission yesterday. But they are incredibly mentally and physically trained to handle such missions and they successfully carried it out. Osama bin Laden was the epitome of evil, no doubt, but I hardly feel like celebrating today. I don't understand the celebrating that took place in the streets of the Middle East on 9/11 at the loss of thousands of innocent lives. I certainly don't think that the removal of bin Laden will bring about world peace or an end to terror. I just don't understand hatred or evil or terrorism ... and never will. So today, I remain conflicted. I think this says it well:

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

I will close with some lyrics from Chicken Fried by the Zac Brown Band:

It's funny how it's the little things in life
That mean the most
Not where you live or what you drive
Or the price tag on your clothes
There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind
This I've come to know
...
 I thank God for my life
And for the stars and stripes
May freedom forever fly
Let it ring

Salute the ones who died
The ones that give their lives
So we don't have to sacrifice
All the things we love
...

And so it goes. Peace, my friends.

No comments: