Tuesday, February 5, 2008

This 'n That

For those regular visitors to the RTC website we apologize for the site still being down. There are issues with the server and as it was supposed to be up this afternoon, I don't know what to say for an anticipated up time. Believe me, the emails are flying.

As I'm working on the March RTC news, just want to put in another plug for artcles. If I could get them by the weekend, that would be great. Thanks much. I believe David is working on creating .pdfs of past newsletters and is/will be posting them on the website as well.

I put a bunch more photos in the album that contains old newsletter photos. Visit it when the site comes back up. ;-)

I taped the Milrose games and have watched some of them. The races that stick out in my mind were the women's Wanamaker mile (Kara Goucher pulling inside Sara Hall on the final turn to eek out the win) and the men's Wanamaker mile (Bernard Lagat winning a sixth straight, if I remember right, beating Craig Mottram). Excellent races. About as exciting as the last 3 minutes of the Super Bowl on Sunday. ;-)

For those wanting to know what Pilates (pronounced /pɪˈlɑ:ti:z/ ("Pih - LAH - Teez")), is, here's something Wikipedia: "The program focuses on the core postural muscles which help keep the body balanced and which are essential to providing support for the spine. In particular, Pilates exercises teach awareness of breath and alignment of the spine, and aim to strengthen the deep torso muscles." So if you're interested in a sneak peek with some running friends, please reply to the post on the website when it comes back up. If there's enough interest, we'll set it up.

Paula Patterson tried my whole wheat pancake recipe from the Running Room eMagazine this morning after her ski at Soldier's Field and liked them! Thanks, Paula. ;-)

RTC member Don Gabrielson was found to be interacting with fellow RTC member, and P-B columnist Greg Sellnow in his Losin' It column regarding dressing for the (cold) weather. Check it out

RTC board member and marathon runner Lin Gentling was voted into the Rochester Quarterback's Club Hall of Fame. Don't worry ... it's as a runner not a football player. ;-) Story and photo here.

This passed along by Mike Schmitt, a great source of blogging info for me. Thanks again, Mike. The Twin Cities Marathon, Inc. High School Scholarship program awards a one-time $5,000 scholarship to one female and one male high school senior who participate in cross-country or track. Applicants must reside within the 11-county metro area: Anoka, Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Hennepin, Isanti, Ramsey, Scott, Sherburne, Washington, and Wright counties. MTCM Scholarship Application .pdf So if you, or someone you know, lives in one of those counties, take advantage of the opportunity. You can't win if you don't try ...

I have to pass along another Pete Gilman tidbit. Pete was on the cover of RunMinnesota and in the Jan/Feb issue, there was a letter to the editor from him thanking them for putting him on the cover. Classy.

Miss the Super Bowl but want to check out the commercials? Try Super Bowl ads on MySpace.

My favorites from our Cooking Light menu last night? First, Barb's chocolate peppermint ice cream cake. Delightful. The pork with raisin chutney and roasted root vegetables were also very good. We ate well. We always do.

OK. Let's meet Kelly O'Hara.


The photo is from the Chisago Lakes Triathlon in Chisago City, MN on July 29, 2007.
Family? My daughters in 3rd and 6th grade enjoy dancing and soccer. They have both participated in the open track meets at Soldier's Field. I hope to get them interested in running cross county some day.
Hobbies? Last year I got the crazy idea that I could do triathlons again, after a 20 year break. I completed 3 short triathlons and loved it. This year I am thinking big and moving up to Olympic distance triathlons: 1.5 K swim, 40 K bike and 10 K run. I plan to compete in the Hy-Vee triathlon in Des Moines in June, which is an Olympic qualifier event. I don't think I will be going on to Beijing, but it will be inspiring to sweat it out with world class athletes.
Languages you speak? I speak English and un petit peu du Francais.
How did you get started in running? When I was in grade school, I read Kenneth Cooper's book on aerobics. I started running around the block. I ran the two mile in high school (very slowly), and threw up after my first race. I ran a lot of 10 K races in my twenties, and did a few triathlons. Then I got lazy for a couple of decades, and decided to get back into running and triathlons at the ripe young age of 49.
Miles per week on average? Fifteen to twenty miles would be a good week for me.
Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? I like to run on the Douglas Trail from IBM up to North Park.
How often do you run it? I run about 3 times a week.
Favorite carbo loading food? Huge fruit smoothies with everything in there, such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, cantaloupe, watermelon, orange, apple, pear, kiwi, lime, mango and banana.
Favorite indulgence food? Chocolate covered raisins.
Next race? Get Your Rear in Gear 5K in Rochester, March 29, 2008.
Running goals? I plan to work on my 5k speed early this season, and 10K speed later. I would like to run a half marathon this fall, and maybe a marathon next year.
Running dream? I would like to still be running when I am 70 years old. I figure I have at least two decades of competition left in me. I'll see you out there!

Cheers!

No comments: