Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!



Happy heart day! Do your heart a favor ... go for a run ... go for a walk. How am I spending my day? After my workout at the Y this morning, I got my stitches out, I'm getting my teeth cleaned this afternoon and then working on the March edition of RTC News! Ted offered to go out to eat but it's always so crowded so I'd rather wait.

I happened to look through my recent posts and saw that there were 3 comments on one from the other day. Fun! One was from a Rochester newbie--hope he comes out to run with one of the many groups that run together throughout the week so as to meet some fellow runners. Another comment was from sgraepel, who I believe is Steve Graepel. He and Kelly moved out west a few years ago. Great runner. It would be fun to connect with him again. Glad he found this blog!

I found this article on the New York Times about muscle cramping which I'm always interested in hearing about. Nothing much new, but I might try the self-massage described in the article. I've tried everything else ...

Don't forget! Sunday is the Lace Up Against Breast Cancer 5K or Half Marathon (or any other distance you want to run!). 100% of the entry fees to go the Donna Hicken Foundation/Mayo Clinic breast cancer research. 8:30 or 9:30, beginning and ending at the Y. You can sign up that morning. I'm planning to do the half. At this point, it sounds like the weather will be cooperating, though won't be quite as nice as what they'll have in Jacksonville, FL. ;-)

A very big thank you to all the sponsors for the Fetzer this year:

If you register for the 20K or 2-mile by March 28, your race number will have your name on it! So sign up early! If you're an RTC member, you also save a couple bucks by registering early. Also new this year, chip timing so that the equalizer portion of the race can be easily scored.

From Oklahoma Runner: Top 10 Reasons To Start Running!

10 - So you have the privilege of getting out of bed at 6 AM before work, when it is 20 degrees outside and all you want to do is sleep another hour (but you know that if you do, you'll hate yourself the rest of the day). Grrr! <20>
9 - So your toes can get so ugly to the point that you're ashamed to wear sandals by this spring.
8 - So that by the time two o'clock rolls around at work, you feel like curling up under your desk and taking a two hour nap.
7 - So that the checkout lady at the grocery store gives you a funny look when you're standing in line with three jars of vaseline.
6 - So you can tell someone your weekly mileage and get the response, "50 miles?! I don't even drive that far!" And you can smile and fake a laugh like you haven't heard THAT before.
5 - So you can triple your shower and grocery bills.
4 - So you can do laundry three times a week in your "free time".
3 - So that your muddy, dirty shoes can start piling up outside your door because they're too smelly to bring inside.
2 - So you can eat a monstrous dinner and an hour later feel hungry again. You betcha!
1 - The unlimited health benefits, the comaraderie of other runners, the sense of accomplishment, etc.

Let's meet Paula Patterson, manager at Running Room :

Family? married with 4 beautiful daughters

Hobbies? cross country skiing, camping, reading and watching the girls sports events!

Languages you speak? only English

How did you get started in running? the Running Room came to town and I was hooked!

Miles per week on average? 20

Your defacto, comfortable as a broken-in shoe training route? my house, to Bear Creek path, through the woods behind Mayo

How often do you run it? now, not much, kind of snowy!

Favorite carbo loading food? spaghetti with garlic breadFavorite indulgence food? brownies

Next race? Med City 1/2, with I am sure some 5k's in between

Running goals? continue to help new runners enjoy running

Running dream? run til I'm 100!!

Thought for the day: "Love may not make the world go round, but I must admit that it makes the ride worthwhile." -- Sean Connery

No comments: