Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wonderful Wednesday

What a beautiful day it is today! Gorgeous spring weather we're enjoying. I'm taking the week off from running as I'm having some sciatica issues or something. I've got a 20-mile race up in St. Cloud on Saturday and I want to be able to finish it!! I would sooooo like to be out running.

This morning bright and early, we (Jason, Melissa, myself and Judy) swam at the Y ...

I promised them I'd crop the photo to waist and up. Shaun Palmer ...

is helping Melissa learn to swim for the Rochesterfest Triathlon. She was happy with her first lesson and will be back next week! I'm proud of her for being willing to "tri" swimming. We're also not opposed to having fun in the pool. Pictured below are Vicki Snyder, Shaun and Melissa.

I had a good swim today. The first 1/4 mile, unless I looked at my watch wrong, was slow. 11 something. But my mile was about 42:20. It was 43:31 at one lap further than a mile. I was very happy with that. Don't know why it was faster. Also, when I swim for an hour I usually get in 43 laps. Today it was 49. I was really surprised, but again pleased.

Judy ran the inaugural Illinois Marathon this weekend in Champaign/Urbana. The medals are very impressive. Even the ribbon is impressive. Colorful, and there's a spinner insert in the shape of the state of Illinois in the medal.

From Kris Allen, Century H.S. track coach: We periodically host track meets in the spring and are desperately looking for meet workers. It take approximately 20-25 people to put on a track meet and parents are by and large resistant to helping because they want to watch their children compete. I am wondering if there would be any interest within the Rochester Track Club in providing meet workers. We do offer compensation, if that helps! The girls will be having a home meet April 21, at 4:30. Some of the areas we need help in are: Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Shot, Discus and Timing. You do not have to know the event inside and out to run it.....and it's pretty basic measuring or recording of distances. Meet workers need to report at 4:15 and then are typically done around 6:30-6:45. Please contact me if you are able to help out. (p.s. I've volunteered to help her out. Join me!!)

Rochester half marathon logo for this year. Fun! 25th annual already. Subaru ...is a big (new) sponsor of the race this year, which is great. The economy being what it is, sponsorships are hard to come by I'm finding out. Thank you, Subaru!!

Sonja Kranz is now associated with Wildtree products. Sonja says they are without additives, preservatives, dyes or fillers. The grapeseed oil has half the cholesterol as olive oils. I'm thinking of having a party for her to learn more about the product. If you're interested as well, let me know.

Just a reminder that the self-defense class for females will be held Sunday 4/26 from 1-3. It's only $10. There are still a couple of openings. If you're interested please let me know. You can never be too prepared.

Boston Marathon on Monday. According to Track and Field News: "For the third year, Versus (formerly known as Outdoor Life Network) will provide complete, live, national coverage from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ET. A same-day, encore presentation of the Versus telecast will air from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET." This doesn't show up on the Versus website, but check local listings for the most accurate information I guess.

Soooo glad the TWINS pulled out a win last night. They needed one! I wasn't able to tune in to the game, but it sounded exciting ... pulling out a win in the 11th inning. Let's hope they can win again tonight. They haven't been on the winning end of the deal with Toronto in the last several years.

I'm making split pea soup for supper tonight as I have a ham bone from Sunday's Easter dinner. Haven't made it in a while, but always enjoy it when I do. It'll be good with a salad and some crusty bread.

That's all I have for today. I think I'll go out and do a little yard work before I lose the daylight.

Thought for the day: "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

Toodles!!

No comments: