Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tough As Nails

Saw a late matinee showing of the movie True Grit with Jean today. I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the John Wayne version, but would like to. The Maddie character was tough as nails.

Also tough as nails ... the 25 or so (just a guess) souls (and their soles) who braved the temps and wind chill this morning to run the new Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer half marathon course.


My thermometer at home said zero when I left and I heard on the radio that the wind chill was -16. I thought I'd left without my balaclava so turned around and went home to look for it ... only to find it was with me, but in the trunk. So I barely got there in time for the start. Brrrrrrr ... it was cold. But with the sun shining it was really a beautiful morning.



Yes, it was cold but with enough layers on, it really wasn't that bad. The hero for the day? Randy McKeeman who stayed out there all morning to provide us with fluids. THANK YOU RANDY!!


That's our hero on the left
I ran most of the morning with Kristin O'Meara. That was most enjoyable. We are both staying at the same hotel in Boston, which will be lots of fun.


My hair looks soooo goofy when it flips up against my hat like that. I think I'll start pulling the hat down farther on my forehead. I was running on empty, literally, today. Thank you Kristin for getting me through the run.

Kudos to John Shonyo, race director, for organizing the run this morning and for all the time and effort he's put into the race (February 13).



We still need volunteers, runners, donations, ... More info on the website.

I stopped in at Brothers for a diet Pepsi before heading over to the Y for the Polar Bear fun run and lunch. It was Joe Ryan's birthday today (Happy Birthday, Joe!) and 3 of Joe and Sara's kids were there coloring.


Brevin made a very nice birthday picture for his dad.


The RTC board put on a very nice spread for lunch.



It was fun to chat with some people that I don't see all that often.



I stopped at Running Room to buy another pair of Fit-Wear (base layer/long-underwear type garment, but technical) tights. With this cold, seems like I'm washing them all the time so another pair was in order.


After two days without my oatmeal, I finally had it at 1:44 PM. Yum-o!! And then shortly before 8 PM, after the movie, I had ...


a salad. I've missed those the last couple days too. Finished up a double batch of Peanut Sitting Pretties. I'll put them in the freezer for the Lace-Up silent auction.


Matt looks pretty comfy. I think he'd say ... Life Is Good.


Good night.

No comments: