Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's All About the Hills

Today was pretty much all about working out. A mile run this morning, just for good measure (and to make sure I got my mile in for the day) and about an hour in the pool. Then this afternoon it was sooooo nice and warm, I decided to do a long run (after yesterday's 12 miles and an hour on the bike in the evening, which I forgot to mention). I headed down Fox Valley and then went up Historic Hill (hill #1) then west across from the retirement community south of 2nd St SW (don't know what it's called). Ran the hill that goes by the Girl Scouts camp (?). That was hill #2. Then I ran down 2nd St to the library for water. Then up to Silver Lake and over to 14th Ave NE. Then over to Silver Lake Foods for another water stop. And I flipped one sock inside out cuz it was buggin me. I pondered going up Teton Lane, but decided Northern Heights Drive would be "kinder and gentler". Ha. What a haul up that hill. But I did it. Hill #3. I went down Teton Lane instead. That's one heck of a hill. Then I went back to 14th Ave NE, south on 11th Ave and west on the bike path south of Oakwood Cemetery. Back to the library for water, back west on 2nd St and up Historic Hill (county 22) the other direction (hill #4) and FINALLY ... up Fox Valley Drive (hill #5). It was will power that got me up that hill, certainly not leg power. 19.01 miles. 20.01 for the day. So glad I did it.

Sightings: Yvonne Hubmayr honked and wave on 2nd St SW, I stopped and chatted with Joey Keillor downtown (he was riding his bike) and an Unknown Runner stopped me on 2nd St SW about about mile 16 and said his wife was in St. Mary's hospital for a few days and he wanted to know where would be a good spot to get in a 10-miler.

Last week I got in 73 miles. Hoo-rah!! It feels so good to be running long. Not sure what I'll do in the morning. But it won't be a long run. :-)

O.S.S. is running from Dunn Bros. on Elton Hills on Saturday at 7:30. And don't forget ... the RTC Banquet is Saturday evening. More info on the RTC website.

Good night.

No comments: