Friday, September 21, 2012

Oh where, oh where ....

... does the time go? It's almost Labor Day. It's been more than 3 months since I've posted last. I've been at my new job for more than 2 months now. Summer is almost over.

I decided it was high time to post a few of my goings on. Most recently, I ran marathon number 27. The Santa Rosa Marathon. Certainly one of the slowest I've ever run (but unfortunately, sub-4:00 hasn't happened this year), but I did achieve a milestone of sorts. This was the first marathon EVER where I didn't experience leg cramps. I'm not sure what to attribute it to, but I wish I knew! My pace was slow due to battling an injured hamstring (again) all summer. I could put in some miles, but whenever I'd try to pick up the pace just a bit, the hamstring would act up. So I finally got really diligent about icing, stretching, strengthening and foam rolling once again and it's improved a lot. But the fitness just wasn't there for anything much under 4:30, so all things considered a no-cramp 4:22 was just fine. The weather was ideal (50s, clouds). The course was flat (save for a few little underpasses). I stopped at all water stations (and there were a lot) and walked through them. I stopped twice to get stones out of my shoes (maybe 25% of the course was on gravel trail and I seem to have a knack for kicking up stones right into my shoe!) and multiple times to use the port-a-potties. So I got plenty of breaks, just like during a training run.

It was a nice marathon. Ideal weather. Lots of GU on the course (4 times maybe?). Plenty of water stops. Flat course. Beautiful medals. There were a few hiccups ... the half marathon numbers were printed on the full marathon bibs and vice versa, results were slow to be posted and hard to find (no link on the race website) and the shirts were uninspired, but overall it was a very good race. Unfortunately, I left my camera in the car so have no race photos. But I enjoyed the company of my Visalia Runner friends on Saturday at St. Francis Vineyars & Winery and Third Street Brewhouse.


Rosie and Albert


Dan, Jacquie, Yvonne and Dave

Adriana, Dan and Jacquie

Mike and Rita

Cathy and Dave
Congrats to Dan, who qualified for the New York City marathon by running a fast half on Saturday, and to Albert and Jacquie for qualifying for the Boston Marathon (as did their pacers ... Adriana, Dave, Yvonne and Mike). You are all such excellent runners! It was a fun weekend.

Next up for me ... the Pier to Peak half marathon in Santa Barbara on Sunday, Sept 2. It's got 4000 feet of elevation gain and is reported to be a very tough run. But I'm excited and up for the challenge of running (or walking) uphill for mile after mile. Then, November 4 brings the Two Cities marathon in Fresno. I was enticed by the California International Marathon while at Santa Rosa, but discovered when I got home that it's closed. However, you can still register if you have a qualifying time in the last 24 months. Luckily, I was running better last year so I can still get in. So that'll be December 2.

I'm getting settled in here. I really enjoy my job and have wonderful people to work with and for. I've started a Cooking Light cooking group here (8 girlfriends) and our first meal together will be September 19. I joined a book club and am now reading The Soloist, which is proving to be a thought-provoking read. Gets one thinking about mental illness, extreme poverty and the influence journalists can have in society. I think it will bring good discussion.

I had the opportunity to help out at the inaugural Hell of a Half (marathon) on 8/17. It was a challenging course and excellent event. So well organized. I was in charge of post-race food. Fun to see friends there!

<< Sorry this ends so apruptly ... Blogger wasn't cooperating and would'nt let me add more photos but I thought I'd post it anyway. Currently in Rochester for a long weekend and it feels great to be back!! >>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Renee, I have so missed your blog, and am very happy to see you posting again. Always enjoy reading what's going on with you!

Suzanne LaPalm