Sunday, October 17, 2010

A New Day

Last night, I went to bed with legs that were very tired. And I was expecting to go for a bike ride today. Didn't happen. The morning felt kind of chilly for a ride (I'm a wimp, I know) so I decided to try running instead. I thought my legs would probably rebel. Well, they didn't. It was a beautiful morning for a run and I feel better each time I run, which is very encouraging. And this felt like my best run in 8 weeks. A very enjoyable run after yesterday's 16.01. I am VERY pleased. I finally ate my breakfast oatmeal at noon.


Taking these running photos from the trunk of my car with the timer on my camera has strangely become another habit. Oh well, soon it will be too cold to do so. Not to worry. : ) Seen on the run ... Kris Saari, Andrea Lloyd, Mike (in his truck), Dorothy (leaving her church), John Dinusson, Suzanne Dinusson and a gal riding a bike with her adorable tow-headed little boy. She greeted me by name ... sorry, I didn't get a good look at you! If you read this, please tell me who you are. : )

WSU Homecoming: It was a spectatularly beautiful day for a football game. I went with a l/s T and a sweatshirt on. Way overdressed! Had to eventually ditch the T. Anyway, tailgating takes place in Winona, like just about everywhere, especially during homecoming.



Matt plays trumpet in the pep band. They do a great job.

Matt is in the upper left
His acapella group Hear and Now sang the National Anthem. I was very proud of them. They did a super job. So cool, calm and collected ... and on key in a challenging song.

Matt is in the middle
Matt has a very low singing voice--sings Bass II. Great job guys!!


The football team didn't have much success against Augustana College. They lost 17-0.


After the game we went to eat at Jefferson's. I had a BBQ pork sandwich. Brought the fries home. They're still in the 'fridge. A good day! A fun day!

So ... back to today. After my morning run, I got busy with stuff around the house. I fixed the handle on the front storm door (it kept falling off), changed the bulb in the garage door opener, cleaned the air filter on the mower (it kept stalling ... the filter was filthy) ...


and raked LOTS of leaves.


I should have taken an "after" picture. It's much improved though there are still leaves on most of the trees except the ash which dumps them really fast. I made a pumpkin cake called Pumpkin Pie Cake from Cooking Light, for today's outdoor pizza extravaganza. I hadn't tried it before, but it was delicious. It's certainly a keeper recipe.




I also brought a seasonal salad (greens, grapes, pear, apple, pecans, cheddar and an apple and cider vinegar-based dressing). And I caramelized onions for a pizza topping. They're delicious.



Some of my cooking group, plus another cooking group (mostly social workers from the county), gathered at Jay and Joan's to make pizzas in their outdoor wood-fired oven. I made a pizza with an olive oil glaze (no sauce), the onions, potatoes, roasted corn, rosemary and a little provolone cheese. Delish. I don't much like sauce on pizza, truth be told.





The pizzas cook in a VERY hot oven.




We had a wonderful evening at Jay and Joan's. They are great hosts and have a beautiful backyard.








I have several rolls of 3' chicken wire (I grew peas on it), some steel stakes (about 3' tall) and some tomato cages if anyone wants them. If you do, email me.

This evening, I made about 5 dozen cookies for tomorrow morning at the Y. Brian Erwin has a milestone birthday tomorrow. Same one as me next month : ) and I promised him cookies "plain old chocolate chip" (his words).


Quote for the day: "40 is the old age of youth. 50 is the youth of old age". --Victor Hugo

Wishing you sweet slumber ...

No comments: