Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Sunday

Sitting here watching The Who perform during the halftime show. I guess we're all not as young as we used to be. :-) But Roger Daltrey is doing a decent job. Brings me back to my younger days.

I neglected to mention that I rolled my ankle yesterday just before 10 miles. It was a little sore during the rest of the run, but today I'm happy to report that it's back to 100%. I also neglected to report that I saw Ron Giles, who I ate dinner with at the banquet : ), running in shorts yesterday morning.


Today's workout: An hour on the Stairmaster before church. After church, run to the Y, lifted, swam for an hour, ran home. Chatted with Shaun Palmer during my swim. Talked with Aaron Benike while lifting. Haven't talked to him in a long time. He said he used to see me doing speedwork in the early mornings on 2nd St SW. I told him speedwork works. He told me speedwork hurts. :-) When I was in the pool, there was a gal there from KAAL-TV filming us swimming laps. At one point, she had her camera at the end of my lane filming me. I'll have to check their website to see if I turn up on film. I'm planning to run tomorrow, but there's a winter storm warning from 6 AM Monday thru 6 PM Tuesday with 8 to 12 inches of snow predicted. Yikes. I'm tired of winter.

On the way home from church I stopped at HyVee. Thru today, Dannon Light & Fit yogurt was 19 cents each. That stuff was flying out of there. I bought quite a few myself. I like it with a little cereal mixed in.

We now have 29, and possibly 30, River Runners running at Outer Banks (many distances available) on November 14. That trip is gonig to be a BLAST.

Rochester's Lin Gentling is in Runner's World this month, Ask the Coach column. It's a question about whether it's a good idea to run a marathon (if I remember right) as your first race.

Speaking of the written word ... I need some articles for the March RTC News. I've got Ed's regular column, Ron Giles' story about Zoom!Yah!Yah!, a story I wrote about Zoom!Yah!Yah! for the St. Cloud newsletter which I may or may not include, and Andy Hemenway is going to write about the Disney Marathon. I'd love some more!! Send them to newsletter@rochestertrackclub.com Thank you.

I have now secured all the food/fluids donations for LUABC on Sunday: Great Harvest (bread), Culver's and Canadian Honker (chicken noodle soup/crackers), Kwik Trip (bananas), AMPI (cheese sticks), Reichel Foods (apple slices and caramel), Caribou (coffee), HyVee (bottled water, cider). I made another 5 dozen big m&m cookies for the event too. One more batch left. In total, I bet we'll have close to 800 or 900 cookies ... I almost forgot that I donated a bread and jam basket, and cookie basket, for the silent auction. So I'll have to get that stuff baked late this week as well.

Tomorrow night is Cooking Light at P.K.'s house. On the menu:
Wine Kathryn
Herbed Asiago Rolls (p. 206) Margo
Double Chocolate Soufflés with Warm Fudge Sauce (p. 230) Mary
Slow-Roasted Brown Sugar and Dill Cured Salmon (p. 191) Pam
Fennel Slaw with Orange Vinaigrette (p. 150) Renee
Aromatic Slow-Roasted Tomatoes (p. 189) Barbara
Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes with Horseradish Butter (p. 141) Diane
Cookies to Go Laura

I'm not too sure about this fennel slaw I'm supposed to make. I'm not a huge fennel fan and it's got an orange vinaigrette. I love oranges, but not orange-flavored foods. This is a good chance to expand my food likes and dislikes.

For dinner tonight, I made the corn and red pepper soup recipe I'd found in Better Homes & Gardens. It's pretty good, but needs more seasoning. I think I'd up the cayenne pepper. Also, there's no fat in it. I think even a tablespoon of olive oil or so for sauteeing the veggies might up the flavor as well. But ... I'd make it again.

The youth group at church sells subs on Super Bowl Sunday for $5 each. They're footlongs and really filling.

I couldn't even eat half of it along with my bowl of soup. I don't know how they make money selling them for just $5, but they must.

I went looking at dishwashers this afternoon. In the two stores I went to (Sears and Warners Stellian), it is possible to spend about $200 and it's also possible to spend $3999. And just about everything in between. I'd like it to be quiet, but other than that I don't think I'd use all the bells and whistles that it's possible to purchase. I just start it up on a normal cycle and let 'er rip. I decided to uninstall the one that's there as I wanted to clean the floor underneath. It's not heavy, and it's now in the garage after being dragged through the kitchen on an overturned rug.

Warners Stellian wants $150 to install a new one. No way. I'm going to try it myself. This is not rocket science. There's a copper supply line, a plastic drain hose and an electrical connection. I think I'm going to try paying myself $100 an hour and give installation the old college try.

Oh my ... N.O. just picked it off and scored. It's 30/17. NOT what I expected, but I do want the NFC to win so all good.

'Til tomorrow ... I'm Ramblin' Renee. Signing off.

No comments: