Friday, December 4, 2009

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Yesterday

When I looked out the window and saw fresh snow, heard the temp (13) and the wind chill, I decided to stay inside and get on the Stairmaster instead. I know, I'm a whimp. The weather is only going to get worse.


This is what it looked like on the way to work. Anyway, I put in 2 hours at level 16 on the Stairmaster, which left me absolutely DRIPPING wet. A good workout. And I got through a couple magazines. The pile has been growing of late. We got 1.4" according to the radio, so when I got home I shoveled the walks and driveway.

Then I puttered around the house and in the process finally found the mantel scarf I'd been looking for, so now I can finally get around to getting the rest of the Christmas decorations up. When I find the time. Then it was off to Chester's for dinner with my friend Jeanne. I had the BBQ salmon with mashed potatoes and root vegetables.




Jeanne had the stuffed chicken.



We both enjoyed our meals. Then it was off to the Lorie Line concert, which we've done together for more than 10 years. "Mr. Lorie Line", actually his name is Tim Line, was out in the foyer and we started chatting and he was more than happy to have his photo taken with us. He said we could take photos during the show as well, which is nice as you're not always allowed to do that.


We noticed that this year's show was scaled back. First off, she didn't have the usual bell for sale. And there were no glossy, full-color programs. (Actually, there were no programs.) And only 5 musicians. And some of the costuming we'd seen before (the white fur coat with all the "tails" and the minstrel costumes the guys wore). But we still enjoyed the show. She's a very good entertainer. Back was the part of the show where she took song requests from the audience and then sat down and played them. That always blows me away.




There's a part of the show where kids are invited up on stage and they get in costume for the Twelve Days of Christmas. They're so cute, especially the littlest ones.


Today

I heard on the radio that we'd gotten a little more snow and the roads were still slippery. Being it was 10 degrees again with a below zero wind chill, I decided to exercise inside again. I WILL get over this (and will run outside tomorrow morning early), but I'm a little bit puck-shy after having fallen a couple of weeks ago, in the daylight, with no snow on the running surface. I really don't want to go down again so soon. I just lost my final scab on my knee this morning. So I drove down to the Y and lifted (chatted with Lisa and Mark), then swam for an hour (shared a lane with Wendy Nevala for a while, so we chatted for a bit) and then got on the Stairmaster at home for another hour. Shortly, it's off to T.G.I. Friday's for lunch (a late birthday lunch) with Jeanne and Mary. From there I'll go work at Running Room until 5:30. Stop by and say hi!! This evening I'll make coffee cake (or something) for tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow

Off-Season Striders (anyone/everyone welcome to join us) will run at 7:30 at Dunn Bros. South in Barclay Square/TJMaxx plaza. The route I have in mind is the one we ran on Thanksgiving Day. I think it was 7'ish. Add or subtract as you wish. At 1:00, it's the TriRochester annual meeting/last social gathering of the year at Glynner's Pub. 7:00 PM will bring the Messiah Sing-In in Winona, which I really look forward to. I have to dig out my Messiah music ...

Misc.
Half off Vacation Sports entry fees through December (or until slots fill) More info online. Running/multi-sport, etc.

Here's another recipe from my friend Kathryn that she says was delicious as part of their Thanksgiving dinner.

AUNT CARLA'S PUMPKIN CORNBREAD
It is impossible to just have one piece. Be sure to make it the night before so you can have some with your Thanksgiving morning coffee.

Ingredients
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups white flour
1 cup sugar
2 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup milk

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. On the first speed of a hand or standing mixer, beat together the eggs, oil, pumpkin puree, and milk.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry in three batches with a rubber spatula. The batter will be smooth, and is more fluffy than liquidy.
5. Pour the batter into a 9 by13 baking pan (or two loaf pans), and place in the middle rack of the oven.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick stuck in the middle of the cornbread comes out dry.
7. Let the cornbread cool for ten minutes, and then cut into pieces and serve.

"The only way to have a friend is to be one." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Until tomorrow, then.

No comments: