Thursday, May 21, 2009

Trashy Thursday

Well, our trashy little group did our part to make the last mile of the Med-City Marathon course a little more respectable-looking this evening. Thank yous to: Joann and Dennis Johnson, Jean Murray, George Huston, Laura Lenz, Abby and Sam Rowekamp.

These winning quotes are going to be posted each mile at the Minneapolis marathon: Minneapolis Marathon Quotes

Sidewalk sale going on at Running Room until 5/31. Lots of shoes on sale.

I've got 3 invites for parties post Med-City Marathon. With Eric's graduation in the morning in Decorah, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make any of them but it would fun to try. It looks like our graduation celebration will be taking place on Monday rather than Sunday. I'm interested to see how the marathon goes with Final Stretch doing the race managment this year.

This morning I decided to call for a doctor's appointment to see what's going on with my hip/back/etc. Miracle of miracles there was an opening for 8:00 AM tomorrow (Friday). I'm so hoping it's not a herniated disk again as then I'd have to stop running for a long while. Not what I want to hear. But it'd be better to find it out now when it bothers me only after running long/hard and I can still otherwise function normally rather than debilitating pain every single minute of every single day ...

Saw Marilee Hardyman at Hy-Vee today. It was good to see her. I'm hoping she can get out of that boot SOON!!! She sees the doc tomorrow as well. Also saw runner Maureen Sanderson at Hy-Vee and my friend Marge at Quilter's Cupboard. A good day for sightings. If your name starts with "M", that is. :-)

Stopped at Good Food Store for some spices from the bulk foods room. One of my favorite places to just browse. Today I just got some cream of tartar, lemon pepper, oregano, thyme and rolled oats.

I stepped on the scale this morning and wasn't horrified so I got a (free) loaf of Blueberry Cheesecake Swirl bread at Great Harvest (with my punch card). It's really wonderful.

For supper tonight I made Creamy Tomato and Rice Soup.

I had a bit of the bread from the farmer's market on Saturday left and it was getting pretty stale so I made some croutons using my basil pesto grapeseed oil from Wildtree.

Here's the soup recipe:

1 cup long-grain white rice (I used brown rice)
1 1/2 cups water (I used 2 cups)
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp dried basil (I used 1 tsp.)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 cup fat-free half and half

Heat oven to broil.
Cook rice in water according to package directions.
Meanwhile, drain the can of diced tomatoes by pouring them into a mesh striner set over a bowl. Use a spatula to press the tomatoes to extract as much juice as possible. Set the juice aside.
Transfer the diced tomatoes to a rimmed baking sheet. Add the onion, garlic, basil and olive oil. Strip the leaves from the rosemary sprigs and add them to the tomatoes and onions. Toss everything to coat well. Season with salt and pepper.
Broil the tomato mixture on the center rack for 4 minutes, then gently stir. Broil for another 4 minutes, or until the onions and tomatoes begin to brown.
Transfer the mixture to a blender, then add the reserved toamto juice. Puree until smooth.
Add the tomato mixture from the blender to the rice and heat over medium heat. Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth and balsamic vinegar. Heat until warmed through, then stir in the half and half.

NUTRITION INFORMATION per 1/6 recipe: 252 calores (47 from fat); 5 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol; 42g carbs; 6 g protein; 3g fiber; 731mg sodium.
Had the first corn on the cob of the season. It's definitely not local as it's way too early for corn here, but it looked good (got it at the south Wal-Mart). It was DELICIOUS. Very fresh, very sweet. (It had cooled by the time I took this photo ... I was out picking up trash ... ;-)


Thought for the day: Live like there is no tomorrow. Laugh outrageously when no one is watching. And love with all your heart.

Go. Be. Do.

No comments: