Saturday, May 23, 2009

Med-City Memories

Well, it's soon time for another Med-City Marathon. I have so many memories of this race. Memories of pouring rain ... scorching heat ... my first Boston Qualifier (5/28/00) ... my last Boston Qualifier (5/27/07). It's fun to run it as I can visualize every single mile and twist and turn in the course. But it's also fun to spectate as I know SO many of the runners. I so wish I could be there, but my son Eric definitely wins out tomorrow (college graduation). Good luck, runners. Have fun! It's all about the journey. And I really look forward to hearing your stories. :-)


For my friends running your first marathon tomorrow ... these shall be yours!!

I read in the Post-Bulletin Post-Bulletin that Foster-Arend beach opened today for swimming which means that we can now practice our open water swimming there.

There's a movie called Run for Your Life about Fred Lebow, the "creator, director and spiritual essence of the New York City Marathon". More info on screening, purchasing the DVD, etc. at Fred Lebow--The Movie.

There's a website called YouBars where you can create your own energy bars: the base ingredients, the add-ins and even the name. Might be a fun gift idea for your favorite athlete.

I've heard quite a lot about the novel Once A Runner which for many years was nearly impossible to find, and was quite expensive, as it was out of print. It has been reprinted and is now available for purchase.

A few snapshots from today at Running Room. Joyce and Roger Heil ...

AmyAnshus ...


LaRee Etter ...

Jean Murray, Julie Murray, LaRee...

Ross and Cory Hamernik.
Cory is a student at Mankato State University. He flew his dad down to Nashville a couple of weeks ago to run the Rock 'n Roll marathon there. Ross is going to write a story for me for the next issue of RTC News. They ended up spending the night in Springfield, IL due to a thunderstorm. Cory had to land the plane with sheer winds at the end of the runway, never having had to do that before. Obviously, they survived. :-)

Well, it's been a full day and tomorrow will be equally so. So I'll end this with ...

Good night. ;-)

No comments: