Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cool Down

I'm really enjoying the cooler temps we're now enjoying. I like summer, but this one has been a bit too "summery" for me with all the heat and humidity we've endured. Yesterday was ... PERFECT. My afternoon workout was a 51 mile bike ride and it was wonderful. I rode about 2.5 miles northwest of Wasioja (which is west and a bit north of Mantorville). I started by riding out to Salem Corners. A guy on a tri bike turned off County 15 onto Salem Road and you guessed it ... I wanted to catch him. And I did ... by the top of the second hill going into Salem Corners. :-) I had a good ride.



On the way back, I met someone else on a tri bike going the other direction and I think it was Joe Moyer, but I'm not sure. Again by county 15, I saw a group of cyclists heading towards me and they turned south on 15. I decided to find out where they were cycling from. Bamber Valley? Nope. Bicycle Sports? Nope. DAHLC. They asked if I wanted to join them, but I'd already ridden 46 so I decided against it. It was their last ride of the season otherwise I might have joined them at another time.

These are the fun socks I wore on yesterday's ride:

Girl power! I had to ditch my favorite hot pink swimsuit the other day. The elastic in the fabric finally gave out and it was sagging. :-( Toenail update: I think I'm going to lose it. :-(

Jim Li took LOTS of photos at the half marathon. Hundreds and hundreds. You can view them online. Thanks, Jim!!

From Jim Benike: Leadville 100 Race Report from a fellow runner. It's long and very detailed. And interesting, I must say. Here are a few of his pix ... which are spectacular. I love the mountains.



As I mentioned in a prior post, I made some cookies to deliver to the gal in High Forest that so graciously filled my two water bottles last week with crushed ice and water. Nothing could have tasted as good as that cold water and I wanted to thank her. So yesterday I delivered some m&m/chocolate chip cookies to her. She was very surprised and said that it wasn't necessary, but I sure was happy to do it. She's very nice. Her name is Brenda. They live in a very nice new house on the north side of High Forest on the west side of the road. She said that lots of bikes come by and people should feel free to stop and ask for water ... and we had a little "pay it forward" conversation. It was all very nice. I'm happy I did it.

Then it was off to Stewartville to All In Stitches.

I adjusted my machine tension successfully by myself so I didn't have to drag my machine in there, but I wanted to get a piece of fabric for the binding for the quilt I'm finishing up. And I have a few September birthdays for which I want to make a little something. I just love fabric shops but I can't let myself go hog wild in them. I've probably already got more fabric than I'll every use up in my lifetime. But I'll try. :-) I'm stipple quilting the quilt that I'm working on. Stippling is an all-over random pattern that's done free-motion and you're not supposed to cross stitching lines. I think it's quite fun to do.


Today I played domestic: I made a batch of chocolate chip walnut banana bread (an Eric fave) and a batch of raspberry jam ...

which finished off Monday's raspberries, save for just enough for Friday's morning oatmeal. Last night I made roasted beets, which are deliciously sweet.

Tonight ... roasted corn and sweet pepper soup ...(it's finally a good weather day for soup)


and Brussels sprouts and that ubiquitous salad.


I also put away my summer decorations and took out fall. Here's a sampling ...


Until next time ...

No comments: